The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am brand new to DIR. To learn as much as possible about DIR, I have been reading SB's posts for the past 6 months. (Almost every night) I have learned many things..thank you all very much. Lately, I have been extremely irritated with the DIR slams. Most of the posts start out with good intentions and turn into a grudge match. I suspect that 99.9% of the time it's someone who knows virtually nothing about DIR and wants to create a little excitement. To be honest, I am growing tired of all the witty little comments and the disparaging remarks concerning DIR.

I fully support DIR because I want to be as safe as possible when my wife and I dive. Diving is our passion! I couldn't possibly live with myself if my lack of knowledge or education harms her in any way. Principles and sound practices of DIR keep us safe and that's the bottom line!

I honestly hope we can keep the irritants out of this forum. I want to learn, not read scuba-Springer posts. I didn't realize there are other forums and websites until TSandM made mention to them. Maybe that's were my time could be better suited.

Ben_ca:
But do the let the trouble makers opt in?

You know who they are... They post in the DIR forum just to argue and do not provide anything useful
Maybe the board software needs an "opt OUT" option, invoked by the mods. 3 strikes and you're OUT! --- of the DIR forum at least.

While I'm a poodle jacket wearing non-DIR solo diver stroke, I find occasional nuggets of useful info in the DIR forum. IMO, making it an opt in only forum would unduly limit its reach and effect.

"heavy moderation" Is why I don't post as much. If I wanted someone picking apart what I've wrote, I would go back to school. I just don't need that headache.

NWGratefulDiver:
I think the forum has value to a lot of people ... so yes, I think it belongs on ScubaBoard.

I don't agree with this at all ... I'd hazard that the majority of the people who get value to this forum have no DIR training at all, and come here because they're thinking about whether or not it would offer what they're looking for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, did you see the post where I said that I thought this would be good so people understand where the answer came from, not to exclude people without DIR training from the forum...

dmdoss:
"heavy moderation" Is why I don't post as much. If I wanted someone picking apart what I've wrote, I would go back to school. I just don't need that headache.

Otherwise you'd post more in the DIR forum you mean?

Okay, okay, I lurk here sometimes *miss blushing* Lynne, I really wouldn't take it away. SB is/should/can be the online source to so much. Leaving this forum out just doesn't seem right. It leaves a jagged edge to what is trying to be a well-rounded place for all sorts of divers. Just a thought but how about having a couple of trusted/respected people assist you? :ne_nau: You are a very capable woman, perhaps with some assistance and changing of a few things around here, you could make it better than ever.

TSandM:
Jeff, if we drop the "heavy moderation" of the forum, what differentiates it from general scuba, or the general technical diving forum? (I'm not being sarcastic or hostile here, I honestly don't know the answer to the question.)

assuming this is an open question

heavy moderation = no anti-DIR rants allowed

that's it, basically. this should be a safe forum where DIR people and others interested can discuss DIR without having someone jump in and shout "DIR sucks" or "you guys are zombies" or whatever

that's all this forum needs from the Mods (and you guys have been great at doing that)

the rest is up to the members

we don't need the Mod police keeping the "purity of DIR" or making sure "only the correct answers" are provided (what a quagmire that would be)

H2Andy:
that's it, basically. this should be a safe forum where DIR people and others interested can discuss DIR without having someone jump in and shout "DIR sucks" or "you guys are zombies" or whatever

That's why I've been shying away... There's too much of this and the "report post button" does nothing....

Ben_Ca is a zombie!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I know, I'm part of the problem, not the solution.

Ben-see ya in October.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom