The negatives of bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got some new gear, now diving steels with a backplate. I am diving a hollis sms 100 backmount setup until I am ready to get the rest of the sidemount stuff, but running into issues with it feeling way too heavy. Without adding any weight, I still sink like a rock and tend to want to roll backwards. Is this something I will adjust to after a few more dives, or should I just put it away until I am ready to go sidemount?

I recommend diving one if you have not "try before you buy" but I don't have one issue with mine except that I didn't purchase it first before the turtle vest I sold.

One of the things I do want to say that really brought me over to the dark side was that I went from 24lbs of lead in my poodle to 8lbs in my BP/W. That alone sold me.

Initial setup is a bitch. It takes a few dives to get it adjusted just right. Rather than just stuffing junk in your pockets, you have to think where to clip them. Getting in is not so bad, a bit slower. Getting out can be a pain. If you want instant gratification, buy a conventional BCD. If you want to take some time and dial it in, then its a good investment as its pretty hard to beat underwater. You do need to be a bit of a gear'oholic to appreciate it.

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to wait. The Dimension i3 is truly the most comfortable BC I've used in 20 years of diving. I love it but it is so damn cluttered sometimes. I like the hogarthian configuration. It just makes sense to me.

I understand being brand loyal especially when you have had great experiences with a particular company, but if the company doesn't make what you are looking for, I wouldn't settle for what ever they have.

If you don't need a tech worthy system but want tech features and more streamlining, why not look at at Dive Rite TransPlate Harness? Its a hybrid system, its fully adjustable, it can accommodate a single tank or doubles and its easy to attach a stage bottle to. Not to mention the diverite pockets attach easily and are owner installed, so you can put it wherever is most functional.

If adjust-ability IS a big issue for you and you want a backplate with a single piece webbing i'd look at the Halcyon Cinch. Easy in, easy out, no chichenwinging, and no adjusting for 3 mil 5 mil or drysuits. It's a pretty brilliant design.

The benefit of the Halcyon Cinch (over some of the other quick adjustment methods) is that you can adjust both sides of the rig at the same time. The adjustment happens where the shoulder straps feed into the plate, and is for many people part of the standard operation of the system. (loosen the straps to get out of it, tighten them when in, don't tighten them as much for different set ups). I personally didn't like the Quick Cinch when I dived it, and will be trying a non adjustable plate this weekend. I couldn't get it to snug up as much as consistently as I wanted, but that would partly come from experience with the system.

That will depend on how negative (or positive) your dimension is when the bladder is empty and what kind of backplate you go with. Steel is heavier than aluminum, which is heavier than the plastic backplates. If you add a single (or double) tank adapter, that can add a few pounds too. I went with a steel backplate and a single tank adapter and a steel 108 tank. My backplate is 5.5lbs, STA is another 1.1lbs. So if you went with stainless for both it's around 6-7lbs. I also switched from a worthington al80 that's 3.2lbs positive empty to a steel 108 that's 2.6lbs negative empty; a net gain of 5.8lbs from the tank swap gives me around 12lbs negative buoyancy.

That's assuming your dimension was neutral when empty - I don't know the answer there.

If you need different weights for different conditions (dive skin in the gulf vs 7mm in colder water) you could always get more than one backplate and move your harness/wing between them to meet your needs on a particular dive. I think many divers are able to avoid carrying lead with a steel bp.

Might be worth your time to find a local dive shop with a pool that will let you try one out. My favorite LDS didn't have "rental" bp/w setups but every one of the instructors owned one and they all offered to let me try theirs - although they were less than thrilled about putting them in the chlorine :).

How much weight could I ditch going from the dimension to bp/w?

I lost ten pounds of lead going from my Zeagle to my SS BP/W.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trading lead for a steel plate buys you ballast that is distributed closer to your center of gravity, a good thing.
The net reduction in weight on your back is not as big, a few pounds would be typical, it depends on how much padding is in the BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom