The negatives of bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe like looping the computer and compass thru a d ring, donning the rig, then put the comp and compass on? Or comp, compass, bottom timer, and wrist slate like I do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I used to do that until I started diving cave. I do most of my diving in FL and when gearing up for the caves the last thing I do is put my head through the neck seal and zip up to avoid passing out from the heat. Order of operations is:
1: assemble rig
2: put on undergarment, then drysuit leaving head out
3: put on wrist mounted instruments (no compass for caves, but two computers, one on each wrist)

At this point I'm ready to go except for finishing donning the drysuit by putting my head through the neck and zipping, then donning my rig. I can sit comfortably (as much as one can in a fleece undergarment in 95 degree temperatures and 99% humidity) at this point until my buddy is ready (many are sidemout, so lots of back and forth from the truck to the water). If it's going to be a while I'll just finish gearing up and go float in the water until my buddy's ready. Now, even when I'm not diving cave I still follow the same ritual, for consistency. True it only takes a minute or two to put the wrist gear on, but in July Florida heat wearing a drysuit every minute counts. I do like the idea of turing the faces to the inside of my wrist, then turning them out once the outfit is on.

The negative about my wing, as it's new and the webbing is still stiff, is that trying to get it in to the dive bag, is like trying to put a cat into a toilet - The straps just fight me..

Regarding adjustments - I have SS buckles on my shoulder straps so if I need to slacken off the straps to get out of the gear in the water I release them (the loose end has a stop to prevent the webbing coming out. I have my top 2 D rings set so that I just re-set by pulling the slack until the buckle hits the d- ring and everything back to where we started.

Have found that I don't need the integrated weight pockets as I'm only carrying 6lb (wearing a 5mm full, 4mm shorty & hood) so once the water here gets warmer and the Neoprene comes off I'll move to cam belt trim pockets

I have put a pocket on the waist belt to stash some stuff rather than it dangling

I've never actually put a cat in a toilet...

The negative about my wing, as it's new and the webbing is still stiff, is that trying to get it in to the dive bag, is like trying to put a cat into a toilet - The straps just fight me..

I've never tried to put mine in the dive bag - it normally goes outside the bag when I go for a dive. I carry tanks, bc, wet bag, and a dry bag. I guess you might not have many options if your dive trip involves a plane. I throw it over one shoulder when I walk to the site (or boat) and the dry bag over my other shoulder. Wet bag gets carried by a handle, and tanks have to be carried separately unless it's a site where it's practical to rig up everything at the back of the car.

I never really thought about putting the BC in a bag; I guess I could do that but my wet bag is pretty full before a dive anyway if the dive involves a wetsuit.

So I understand the good things associated with BP/W. But what will I be giving up? Comfort? Convenience? Anything?

When you dive a BP/W (especially with 7' hose config) in vacation destinations, people will stare at you as if you were from another planet. In fact, here's a post I put in another thread recently....

I was doing a night dive in Curaçao and got assigned a random buddy. The DM who paired us up said to the other guy "sorry about that" as he pointed to me and said to the other guy "don't bother with a buddy check... he's wearing a nonstandard rig." (BP/W, 7ft hose, can light, etc). "If he gets in trouble you'll never be able to get him out of his gear - he's completely strapped in."

I just started laughing.

The DM and the other guy were indignant "Ok then. What SHOULD we do if you get in trouble?"

Me: "Just cut me out."
He: "With what?"
Me: "Knife, shears, whatever you've got will work."
He: "I don't have anything like that."
Me: "And I'm the one diving a 'non-standard' rig?"
He: "So what do I do?"
Me: "I've got three cutting tools, here, here, and here. Grab one and start cutting."
He: "How will I know if you need to be cut out?"
Me: "If there's any question... start cutting. If I tell you to get your ****ing hands off my gear, stop."

Another time my buddy and I were doing a shore entry in the Cayman Islands and people asked us "Where are you going? You know there's no caves out there, right?"

Other than that... I got nothing.

:d

I've never actually put a cat in a toilet...

That's hilarious.

Cheers,
Mitch

Trying to track down my dad's cat.............I think he's onto me.

Never mind trying to put him in the toilet, just try fitting one into the kitty carrier for a trip to the vets. They suddenly have about eight legs, all attached to the outside of the little door.

Back
Top Bottom