The Octopus Conundrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that you should dive in the same manner whether you are teaching, guiding, going solo, tech, photography ect. It promotes "muscle memory" and familiarity with what you have on your rig. For that reason I use the same rig in all situations, but tailor my in water behaviour to fit the circumstance (leading OW students in full trim is stupid... I've seen it and it is just stupid).

I almost always bring my al19 on all my dives, and on the occasion that I am solo diving, or going past 100 I bring an al40.

As for the octo, I agree that it is simpler to dive the same rig for all you dives, but if you are diving solo most of the time, removing the octo would be a good choice. There are situations where having a second on your primary reg would be helpful, but those situations are so few and far between that the extra clutter of an additional reg is not necessary.

Last edited:
"leading OW students in full trim", what does that mean?

Is this a popcorn moment?

I always dive the same with two independent regs on two tanks.
It doesn't matter as I dive this way on every dive.
I dive solo and with buddies but they all are aware of my practice.

CamG

Recently on a dive I really wanted to dive on, My mouthpiece on my primary second stage got a tear in it. Instead of having to thumb the dive, I used my octopus. I could have still used the primary in an emergency, but it breathed really wet.

I usually try to dive the same way all the time too. Using air and some sort of hose thingy that is... unless I'm not. My muscle has good memory but it's short.

[video=youtube;FIk3Rc8eTos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIk3Rc8eTos[/video]

How did the word "trim" ever make it into diving anyway?
And I thought muscles don't have capabilities to store memory?
God, all these buzz words, who comes up with this crap!

How did the word "trim" ever make it into diving anyway?
And I thought muscles don't have capabilities to store memory?
God, all these buzz words, who comes up with this crap!

Probably that marketing guy who puts all these survey things on ScubaBoard :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom