The Octopus Conundrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"leading OW students in full trim", what does that mean?

I was poking fun at some of the tech divers out there that teach recreational courses like they are on a tech dive.

No good recreational dive instructors I know teach in a horizontal position and use frog kicks ect. Diving like that doesn't allow you to keep an eye on students that may have buoyant ascents, or lose their reg ect.

I was poking fun at some of the tech divers out there that teach recreational courses like they are on a tech dive.

No good recreational dive instructors I know teach in a horizontal position and use frog kicks ect. Diving like that doesn't allow you to keep an eye on students that may have buoyant ascents, or lose their reg ect.

Apparently you don't know many good recreational dive instructors then ... because anyone who doesn't teach proper trim isn't a very good instructor, and any instructor who can't maintain proper trim while keeping an eye on their students isn't skilled enough to teach scuba ... that's just basic skills and has nothing whatsoever to do with tech diving.

I'm not sure what that has to do with solo diving, with or without an octopus ... but it indicates someone taking a position without really understanding it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Probably borrowed from aircraft and marine nomenclature… as-in trim tabs.
[/HIJACK]

... which perform essentially the same function on a boat or airplane that weight distribution and body positioning do on a scuba diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... which perform essentially the same function on a boat or airplane that weight distribution and body positioning do on a scuba diver ...

Just to complete the explanation, marine vessels and aircraft of all sizes also distribute weight for proper trim. Aircraft and ships perform load calculations while small boats just look at the trim and shift weight around... including people. Ships and submarines will also shift liquids like fuel and water between tanks for trim.

Just to complete the explanation, marine vessels and aircraft of all sizes also distribute weight for proper trim. Aircraft and ships perform load calculations while small boats just look at the trim and shift weight around... including people. Ships and submarines will also shift liquids like fuel and water between tanks for trim.

Actually I use trim tabs but I have burned fuel from one wing to reduce trim input required for a heavy wing. I am not sure I could have ever convinced my passengers to sit on the nose or back on the tail. Some trim systems on aircraft utilize a bungee to preload the flight surface to reduce pilot effort. But equipment and passengers, installed or otherwise, are adjusted or accounted for in the center of gravity envelope for the aircraft.

"leading OW students in full trim", what does that mean?

I think when Patoux said trim here he meant as in a turkey with all the trimmings, a diver with all of the equipment.

N

I think when Patoux said trim here he meant as in a turkey with all the trimmings, a diver with all of the equipment.

N

... it was ShinyThings who said it ... and he explained what he meant. Patoux was the one who asked him for that explanation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Probably borrowed from aircraft and marine nomenclature… as-in trim tabs.
[/HIJACK]

How about this on trim?

Flight dynamics (fixed-wing aircraft) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Roll, pitch and yaw refer to rotations about the respective axes starting from a defined steady flight equilibrium state. The equilibrium roll angle is known as wings level or zero bank angle, equivalent to a level heeling angle on a ship. Yaw is known as "heading". The equilibrium pitch angle in submarine and airship parlance is known as "trim", but in aircraft, this usually refers to angle of attack, rather than orientation. However, common usage ignores this distinction between equilibrium and dynamic cases."

Trim is set in aircraft with a fixed or on more complex aircraft with a moveable trim tab.. You learn very early as a student pilot that the trim wheel is your friend.. Some aircraft like my 56 c-182 has a movable elevator in stead of a simple trim tab...

CG or center of gravity is set before take- off and is done a weight and balance sheet using the firewall as the most common data point.. If you screw it up the control surfaces can not control a stall recovery...

I think some people take this a little to far in diving... Like using a shorter hose to be stream lined and 1/2 lb angle weights... I think is down right funny...

Jim...

Munch munch crunch mmm good popcorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom