The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If you need to indulge further, you need to use less alcohol in the mix."

...which is nicely accomplished by consuming lots of dihydrogen monoxide, despite its known use in styrofoam cup manufacturing.

Boogie711:
I would continue to consume beer at a SBC (surface beer consumption) rate of approximately one every 20 minutes.

In the event I had an OOB emergency, I would go to my backup beer, conveniently located on a bungee necklace around my neck. I would then signal to my buddy, who would either signal the bartender for more beer, or deploy an extra long straw and allow me to drink from his beer until we managed to leave the bar safely.

Boogie, do they make 7ft straws?? Are you drinking in a team and have extra beers available if the bar tender isnt free to deliver and you use up a substantial part of your nearest buddy's beer - you dont want to make him OOB now do you? I used to find team pubbing required some de-beering time prior to arriving home, we used to do our stops at the local kebab or chinese places. Its bad where you have been down the pub for a while and find due to the amount you have drunk that you have an overhead to contend with and find yourself OOB, so we used a steady 50/50 mix of kebab and fries to get through our de-beering stop time on the way home. Always got home safely, never had to be rushed to the bathroom-chamber to puke (but i do recall this as a problem with younger drinkers). I should also hope that you dont confuse your mix and drink it too deep to get al-tox, i have seen many in my youth have convulsions on that, particularly when they werent trained in the use of alcohol and its limits or 24 hour exposure. I got my altrox certification in the UK in 1995, but i had been using it in shallower depths before that where al-tox wasnt going to be a problem.

I see the one that looks like a retriever, do they do the smaller size dogs?? Are you supposed to use it for resus training, would you want to wrap your lips around a dog's?? Particularly regarding where its mouth often is! Is this solely for use for vetenery surgeons?

I think there are some products that are produced that there is no call for, however this one i can see has a ready supply with this DIR dog diver rescue course. However i think you have to supply your own stage rigging/leash to restrain it in case it gets away from you (as panicked dogs/people often struggle). BTW where do we sign up for this course, is the only pre-req the DIR/F course, or one of the tech ones? Do we have to have some kind of dog CPR/handling pre-qual first as well??

the thing is 200 bucks!!

wow

simbrooks:
Boogie, do they make 7ft straws?? Are you drinking in a team and have extra beers available if the bar tender isnt free to deliver and you use up a substantial part of your nearest buddy's beer - you dont want to make him OOB now do you? I used to find team pubbing required some de-beering time prior to arriving home, we used to do our stops at the local kebab or chinese places. Its bad where you have been down the pub for a while and find due to the amount you have drunk that you have an overhead to contend with and find yourself OOB, so we used a steady 50/50 mix of kebab and fries to get through our de-beering stop time on the way home. Always got home safely, never had to be rushed to the bathroom-chamber to puke (but i do recall this as a problem with younger drinkers). I should also hope that you dont confuse your mix and drink it too deep to get al-tox, i have seen many in my youth have convulsions on that, particularly when they werent trained in the use of alcohol and its limits or 24 hour exposure. I got my altrox certification in the UK in 1995, but i had been using it in shallower depths before that where al-tox wasnt going to be a problem.

Some good points, also in my day there wasnt much guidance on multi day drinking, you just went through on a day by day basis without taking into account your alcohol loading. its a pity no one has invented a drinking computer to automatically monitor your situation, however i have found that a device kniown as the "Her indoors" can provide some reasonable guidance on my tolerance level, although i am generally too narced to take notice of this despite the (very) audible and visual warnings.

The bathroom chamber is a very good issue, i have found a few times that i have ascended from my bed, post drinking, far too soon and this has also resulted in a chamber trip. It is vitally important that after a large drinking session you spend plenty of time decompressing in bed.

They have a device out nowadays, you breathe into it and it can tell you your alc loading, now you can be too narced to notice that, but if you are driving your scooter, the little religeous cult can come along in their all white cars (black suits) with blue lights (gloves) and tell you that you are going to kill yourself drinking that way with that configuration of beer. :wink:

I have found that sometimes after long drinking sessions, that i sometimes had to spend extra sessions in the bed, particularly in the morning to get through the decompression after beer diving, sometimes til 12 when not working the next day, otherwise you just have to go around a little shaky.

Back
Top Bottom