The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now if you rescue a dog underwater that had been drinking and had some nitrogen loading from their scuba equipment, when assisting in the ascent, would you have to squeeze their "chest" to ensure no AGE/overexpansion injuries or would you trust they were suitably unconcious and not able to hold their breath?

This thread has been hijacked by hockey, which has nothing to do with the original topic of beer and CPR dog maniquins!

well, could happen that hockey players practice fighting skills with CPR dog maniquins and drink beer afterwards. you never know how these younger Albanian players get their kicks.

brings a whole new meaning to drinking the hair of the dog that bit you the night before - after the hockey match and cpr dog fighting!

But back to the topic at hand, who is running the new debeering course nowadays, i heard it was DIR (Drinking It Right), but i think there might be one coming from PADI (Put Another Drink In), i also heard about NAUI (National Association of Underwater Inebriates) running something about the new RGBM (Reduced Gargling Burping Machine) tables to help degas after a night of drinking. Then i think SSI (So Stinkin Intoxicated) that was trying to set up something that was very similar for hockey players after they have done skating, they drink and dive.

simbrooks:
But back to the topic at hand, who is running the new debeering course nowadays, i heard it was DIR (Drinking It Right), but i think there might be one coming from PADI (Put Another Drink In), i also heard about NAUI (National Association of Underwater Inebriates) running something about the new RGBM (Reduced Gargling Burping Machine) tables to help degas after a night of drinking. Then i think SSI (So Stinkin Intoxicated) that was trying to set up something that was very similar for hockey players after they have done skating, they drink and dive.

Actually, hockey players stink and drive :wink:

IMHO, Jarrod Jablonski and George Irvine, the two most visible proponents of DIR, bring some extremely valuable insights and organization to the ongoing dialog concerning diver safety. I've read Jarrod's book and many of George's articles in various dive magazines and web sites. Likewise, the DIR standards guide is a useful resource - wouldn't it have been nice if you could have found all of the different training agencies' standards for free on the web when you were learning to dive? I know that I could have moved up the learning curve a lot faster.

The thing that I find irritating about the whole DIR movement is the attitude. Arrogance is too mild a word to use when describing the attitude that oozes from the articles, beginning with the creation of condescending catch phrases and continuing through paragraph after paragraph.

And while pissing people off can be an effective method of generating dialog, I feel that it flies in the face of the thing I love most about diving, the comraderie, the friendships that come from buddying with a stranger, trusting and making yourself trustworthy.

Sure, anybody who's been diving for any length of time has his or her share of buddy horror stories. There are quite a few people out there that just do not get the idea of the buddy system. And I guess calling them "Strokes" and choosing not to dive with them is one way of dealing with their attitudes. I just wonder if it's the best way. My personality is different. I'd rather try to effect change by educating, by discussing, by engaging the other person. Reminds me of a great biblical quote:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree that we all need to work on safety and to hone our dive skills, and DIR offers some great tools for that endeavor. If the pioneers of the philosophy could lose the attitude, lots more divers could benefit from their experience.

Just a few observations on a warm, sunny morning in Miami. Time to log out and try to get to the ocean.

-Grier

Zippsy:
Elsewhere on the board is a question about why people got into DIR. This is kind of the opposite question that I am interested in finding out the thoughts of others. As has been pointed out, people can get touchy on both sides of the DIR fence. This is not meant to be a troll so let's not turn it into one.

I have a fairly good idea what DIR is, and I even agree with a lot, but not all, of what they say and the way they dive. I choose not to dive that way for a variety of reasons including 1) I actually enjoy diving with brand new divers (none of which are DIR), 2) I can't afford the equipment that I would probably need to buy someday, 3) I do fairly simple diving that does not seem to warrant the need for the additional benefits of DIR.

The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR? I too want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop. Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, no proselytizing, simple honest answers. Politeness seems to have survived for a while in the other thread, so I have hopes for this one. If the MODS don't think this is a legitimate post. By all means trash the thread. No hard feelings.

(thanks Fred for the idea)

Its kind of interesting, I see the old divers whose wetsuits have turned from black to grey with their faded BCs, and I see young divers with new DIR gear. I think one of the reasons I don't dive DIR is the constant internet hype. I think one of the reasons a lot of older divers don't dive it is that they've never heard of it.

Zippsy:
The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR? I too want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop. Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, no proselytizing, simple honest answers.

In my experience, a lot of the prickliness that comes up in DIR discussions is a reaction to the attitude on the part of some (and by no means all) DIRers that if you're not doing things exactly as they prescribe, then you're DIW.

My reason is very simple: not only would I have to travel in order to take the course (which I just may do anyway one of these days; the curiosity is killing me) no one else around here dives DIR anyway. You can't dive DIR alone, can you?

And with any luck, this will be exactly the second post I have made concerning DIR without getting fried...

DennisS:
Its kind of interesting, I see the old divers whose wetsuits have turned from black to grey with their faded BCs, and I see young divers with new DIR gear. I think one of the reasons I don't dive DIR is the constant internet hype. I think one of the reasons a lot of older divers don't dive it is that they've never heard of it.

Actually, I think the reason many older divers don't dive DIR is because they've heard of it from all the wrong people.

Being told how to dive by someone with less than one-tenth of your experience can be mildly annoying.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom