The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole:
...no one else around here dives DIR anyway. You can't dive DIR alone, can you?
I'm in the same boat. I had to travel to take the course (actually, I took the course while I was traveling anyway). So far, I know of no DIR divers in my area. The course gave me the tools to practice better diving and buddy skills no matter who I'm diving with. My attitude is such that I'll dive with pretty much anyone. Yes, there are times when I dive with unsafe divers. I don't dive anywhere near the limits of recreational diving with these divers. It takes seconds to brief someone on air-sharing proceedures with the long hose. So - I dive as DIR as I can and still be able to dive, but I am looking forward to doing more challenging dives with some DIR folks on my next trip south :D

For me, first impressions play a huge part of my feelings or desires to do certain things. And my first impression of DIR was from a DIR diver that was a total jerk and egotisitical a$$hole. I know this individual is not a true representation of the DIR diving community as a whole, but still a very negative impression was left upon me. Now I do subscribe to some of the ideals of DIR diving. That is only because of my military background has taught me about redundencies, consistancies, proper equipment for given situations, proper training, and safe buddy practices in any situation.

I am a lowly little Nitrox Advance Open Water Rescue diver, and I am fully aware of the risk and dangers associated with diving in general and that those risk are increased signficantly when one engages in more technical endevers (ie. wreck, cave, etc). That is why I steer clear of them for various reasons, such as not being properly trained and lack of proper equipment. I am fully aware of my limitations and I respect them.

Does these facts make me a unsafe diver? I would hope not. But that one particular DIR seemed to think I was a diving accident looking for a place to happen and that he didn't want to be in the same puddle of water with me and any given time. He had never dove with me, and had never seen how I handled myself. His whole reason was a signature I used to have on here about wearing 80lbs of weight to get to the bottom quicker. To me, that signature was not meant as anything more then a joke. To him, I guess it was statement that screamed I was a unsafe diver that would kill any and everyone that dove with me. By the way, I have yet to lose a dive buddy.

That one person is the reason I choose to not be a "DIR" diver, instead I choose to be a safe and respectful diver.

Paul

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, I think the reason many older divers don't dive DIR is because they've heard of it from all the wrong people.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe this statement to be true for new divers as well. I have been told by some on this board, that the “wrong people” are in the minority, and we should not judge by this example. However I have only met a couple of DIR divers in person, and they all happened to fall into the category of the “wrong people”. I have to this date only read posts by the “right people”, and have never actually met one in person. Based on this experience, I am beginning to question the veracity of the claim, that the bad examples of DIR divers are in the minority. It brings into question the possibility that *some* of those who seek out DIR training, may be doing so more for self-gratification and bravado, than for what GUE espouses DIR will to teach a diver. It also leads one to wonder if this tendency to attract the “wrong people”, is not rooted in some way with a small group of the founders of GUE. One need only to read some of the publicly available material that has been produced by George Irvin and Jarrod Jablonski, to come away with a sense that they too can at times be categorized as the “wrong people”. Unfortunately they also happen to be “the” people when it comes to DIR. GUE and the DIR training it offers is in its infancy, and if is to grow beyond the clique status it now holds, it will have to go through some maturing and growth. Exclusionism and this self-proclaimed superiority to all others, are two of the main sub-themes that will need to be tempered if GUE and DIR is ever to grow and loose its perceived cult status.

Zippsy:
... The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR? ...
I normally don't mess with posts dealing with this topic; I just spotted the "contents" in the newsletter so here's my three penny's worth.
Much of my diving has been in the commercial field, mostly in the Great Lakes & Mississippi River.
For "fun diving" I'll take a hookah over tanks any day, whenever/wherever practical.
I also like to dive vintage gear, with double hose regs, twin 1800psi 50s, Duck Feet & sometimes even those nasty canvas "Bunny Suits" that like to pinch little roadmaps into your skin.
In short, I like to use whatever gear is appropriate for the type & style of diving that I'm doing, because one size does not fit all.

Snowbear:
So - I dive as DIR as I can and still be able to dive...
Well, we all know you can't dive "as DIR as you Can". You either ARE or are NOT diving DIR, and if you dive with a non-DIR diver (like me) you are no longer diving DIR.
I know some DIR divers who dive with non-DIR divers because there jones to dive out-weighs their desire to do it right, and I don't blame them!!
And I'm grateful they'll dive with me!!
You know who you are, and you just can't say "no" to a dive, can you? :D

cancun mark:
This thread has been hijacked by hockey, which has nothing to do with the original topic of beer and CPR dog maniquins!

I musta missed the post on the beer and cpr dog maniquins! :11:

wstein

wstein:
I musta missed the post on the beer and cpr dog maniquins! :11:

wstein
Start with post#284 by Boogie711 and laugh from there onwards.

Rick Inman:
You either ARE or are NOT diving DIR, and if you dive with a non-DIR diver (like me) you are no longer diving DIR.
But since you won't let me dive with you, DIRness is not an issue :wink:

Taking a DIRf class does not a DIR diver make. Obviously according to many who think like you do, I'm still the epitomy of unsafe divers, but I disagree that diving with a non-DIR diver means I'm not diving DIR. Diving with a diver who has an unsafe attitude makes me non-DIR. There is a rumor of a DIRf class up here this summer. If it happens, I hope the powers that be allow me to help out or participate in some way so I can start getting aquainted with and diving with other DIR divers locally. Meanwhile - I'll still dive with almost anyone and do it as DIR as I can.

As to the other comments about the negative attitudes of some internet DIR folks - Yep - I too was pretty resentful of the implications and if all I ever read was the rants of the honchos, my stubborness would have prevailed. Then I had the opportunity to dive with a DIR diver who was completely non-judgemental about me, my gear and my skill level. He graciously and patiently answered my questions and gave me a couple pointers. He later subtlely (but anonymously) used me as an example on a couple of BB's as to why some equipment issues cause problems. Gulp! Since then I took the class and have no regrets for doing so. I've noticed since taking the class that the DIR divers I've met are mostly like the diver I mentioned. I hear the stories about the jerks, but they are probably not the type of divers I would be diving with no matter what their certification.

pt40fathoms:
I believe this statement to be true for new divers as well. I have been told by some on this board, that the “wrong people” are in the minority, and we should not judge by this example. However I have only met a couple of DIR divers in person, and they all happened to fall into the category of the “wrong people”. I have to this date only read posts by the “right people”, and have never actually met one in person.

I guess I'm just lucky ... I've met several of the "right people". They are great dive buddies and awesome mentors. Some of them even post here.

I think there's a misconception that DIR people won't dive with non-DIR people. That's not exactly what GI meant in his famous little missive on "str****" ... at least, most DIR folks I've met don't think so.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll put another vote in the availibility of training column. There is also another factor. Right now my finances allow me to convert when training is availible but my core dive buddies could not even if they wanted to. I would have a problem leaving the for the DIR only dive team.

Back
Top Bottom