The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's great that there are many DIR divers out there that can enjoy diving with others. I was only indicating that it is part of the DIR leadership (not a few fringe accolytes) that advocates diving only DIR. That's a bit rigid for my tastes and since it is promoted by their leadership, I'll take what I like from DIR and leave the rest, including their dogmatic approach...

gj62:
That's a bit rigid for my tastes and since it is promoted by their leadership, I'll take what I like from DIR and leave the rest, including their dogmatic approach...

Me too, actually ... but I just didn't want to leave any misconceptions unanswered out there about the difference between the dogma and the reality ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DIR claims to be evolving, but they are absolutely rigid about everything. What are the chances that they have everything absolutely correct?

Also, I do several types of diving: rec, tec, solo and some commercial. No single configuration can work well for everything, it is just impossible. If you try to walk a 500 pound chunk of retrieved gear along the bottom with a stage bottle hanging in front of you, you won't have much fun.

I have, however, taken some of the DIR methods and adapted others. By their definition, I am not DIR because either you are or you are not, there is not in between.

For what they do (warm water caves) it looks like it would be great. For solo cold water dives, a 7 foot hose is just plain silly.

I employ the "less is more" theory lately. If I don't need it and it does not make my dive more safe, it sits in my garage.

IMHO, each experienced diver should carefully examine what kind of diving they do and do as much research as possible. Also, controlled "experiment" dives will show you what works best.

Be safe and think for yourself!

steiner:
DIR claims to be evolving, but they are absolutely rigid about everything. What are the chances that they have everything absolutely correct?

It absolutely is evolving. It's not absolutely rigid. Things do and have changed.

jonnythan:
It absolutely is evolving. It's not absolutely rigid. Things do and have changed.
Enlighten us, please, as to the key evolutionary changes in GUE since the publication of the DIR, The Fundamentals of Better Diving - published 3 years ago....

Folks, JJ & others have hit the nail on the head for the type of diving they engage in most often - especially the deep penetration dives they are known for. I commend them for that and am on record to say that I would adopt DIR if that were my main ambition in diving.

However, please don't try and justify the dogma for your average rec dive to 40' in the Keys on a few coral heads. Newbie snorkelers are more at-risk from sunburn than a DIR diver is from me on such a dive - though the cirriculum says I'm a danger...

Go figure...

There are a lot of levels between the "average" rec dive of 40' in the keys and technical overhead diving. The "average" dives up here in NY are a little more involved than the "average" dives in the keys. and IMO the long hose is applicable to everywhere, keys included. That's not dogma. I've been diving a 7' foot hose for over a year.. I even started doing it back when I was "anti-DIR" because it's just a good idea and it works well. The long hose isn't owned by DIR or GUE or anything, it's just a great idea and one that most of my diving buddies seem to like also.

As for DIR evolving, I don't know. I believe the preferred drysuit bottle mounting has changed fairly recently, as has the Rock Boot issue. I don't exactly keep up with the details, but I know it changes every now and then. From what I've read by George and JJ on the Quest list, they're both trying new things fairly regularly and tweaking the system continually. The basis of the system is so simple there's little you *could* change - bp/wings, 5 d-rings, long primary, bungeed backup.

Don't accuse me of "justifying" any "dogma." I have no dogma to justify. The long hose issue is entirely separate from the DIR issue. I've subscribed to the long hose one way before I ever thought about taking a GUE class.

The fact that it worked so beautifully did sort of make me think "hey, maybe these guys are onto something" though.

... and I believe they removed the phrase "air is for tires" from their training curriculum ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jonnythan - I never said the long hose was a bad idea - I don't know where you got that, though it seems the meat of your reply to my post.

I guess I should have posted 2 replies, because only the first part was directly in response to your post. The rest was to the thread in genereal (where I said, "Folks..." as in everyone).

Zippsy:
Elsewhere on the board is a question about why people got into DIR. This is kind of the opposite question that I am interested in finding out the thoughts of others. As has been pointed out, people can get touchy on both sides of the DIR fence. This is not meant to be a troll so let's not turn it into one.

I have a fairly good idea what DIR is, and I even agree with a lot, but not all, of what they say and the way they dive. I choose not to dive that way for a variety of reasons including 1) I actually enjoy diving with brand new divers (none of which are DIR), 2) I can't afford the equipment that I would probably need to buy someday, 3) I do fairly simple diving that does not seem to warrant the need for the additional benefits of DIR.

The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR? I too want an honest answer not the run of the mill gobbletygooop. Remember no name calling, no bashing, no bull, no proselytizing, simple honest answers. Politeness seems to have survived for a while in the other thread, so I have hopes for this one. If the MODS don't think this is a legitimate post. By all means trash the thread. No hard feelings.

(thanks Fred for the idea)

My technical diving instructor stressed being able to make choices that are most appropriate for me, and that is what I do. When I first started diving with him he helped me set up my gear the same way he did with the understanding that I would train with the equipment rigged that way while under his instruction. He also stressed that that particular equipment configuration is what worked for him and that after receiving my certification and gaining experience that I should make my own choices based on experience as he had. A lot of what is considered "DIR" has been around way before there even was a "DIR" i.e. 7 foot primary hoses, bungee necklaced secondary air sources, bladders, and simple harnesses, so in those respects I consider it using what works and the way I was taught as opposed to "DIR". With regards to the "Do it this way or you are a stroke and are going to die" attitude GUE and the "DIR" diving lifestyle promote, well, to paraphrase a quote from legendary caver Bill Main when he said, "If someone tells you that there is only one way to do something, the bull**** alarm should start ringing." For what it is worth, that is my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom