The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can we retitle this thread "as the merry-go-round spins" ?

I don't think we've done enough laps on this topic on the board yet.

jonnythan:
I've been diving a 7' foot hose for over a year.. I even started doing it back when I was "anti-DIR" because it's just a good idea and it works well. The long hose isn't owned by DIR or GUE or anything, it's just a great idea and one that most of my diving buddies seem to like also.

The fact that it worked so beautifully did sort of make me think "hey, maybe these guys are onto something" though.

The "long hose" has been around a lot longer than GUE/DIR. In fact, for the PADI Tec Rec course I am currently taking, it is a requirement. The choice of using it or stowing it as a back up is up to you, but you must have one. It has been used by wreck divers for years, although not mandated. GUE/DIR merely took that idea and adopted it, which is a good thing.

Capt Jim Wyatt:
I have been teaching diving for 30 years, at the age of 18 I became an instructor. Been a diver since I was 12.

I just don't need dudes who have been around 3 or 4 years telling me how to dive.

Does that mean you don't believe in computers, RGBM, or BC's? Thy weren't around 30 years ago.

The Navy had the same problem about aircraft carriers circa 1940 - new fangled gadgets that weren't worth the money.

Does that mean you don't believe in computers, RGBM, or BC's? Thy weren't around 30 years ago.

Actually sir for the most part they were or at least the ideas were. And what do you think, just because someone says a backplate is "approved" today there never was one before. Excuse me but a outfit know as Viking in the 50's had them and yeah the scubapro decom meter came in the 60's and if you follow researchers like Brian Hills who had worked on the dual phase models in the early 60's and challenged Haldanian models the late 60's with reseach and publications.
So what is the wonderful configurations of the day, mostly items and ideas that weren't created recently but brought back and adapted to current needs or marketing criteria. What do you think if someone doesnt take a "new" course you predate the Rosetta Stone? Could it actually be that someone lived and evolved his own configuration and system over 30yrs and maybe just maybe it worked over a couple of thousand dives. (could that be possible without JJ or GI approval?)
The Navy had the same problem about aircraft carriers circa 1940 - new fangled gadgets that weren't worth the money

Now thats real cute and it took you what two weeks to come up with that? It would be prudent to not try and be so smart unless you know what and who your talking about and just stick to facts.
By the way I predate the Capt. by 10yrs
PPS what type of dive computer is considered DIR anyway or
could we spell bt and VPM or......................

tedwhiteva:

The Navy had the same problem about aircraft carriers circa 1940 - new fangled gadgets that weren't worth the money.

WOW!

Your very first post, and you have managed to not only prove yourself to be arrogant, but in two sentences you have made most of the more experienced divers on this board view you in a very unfavourable light.

Way to go!

Quick question: What is this newsletter that people are talking about?

you wouldn't have gotten it if you have the "i don't want to receive emails from
the admins" checked in your profile. i suspect from your question that you do,
and thus wouldn't have received the newsletter.

:eyebrow:
H2Andy:
you wouldn't have gotten it if you have the "i don't want to receive emails from
the admins" checked in your profile. i suspect from your question that you do,
and thus wouldn't have received the newsletter.

Guess all those years editing thesis and tech manuals made me read it literally. I took it as allowing them if left checked. ie: disabled if changed from default. Default is checked.

wow... that took me 7 tries to get, but i understand it now...

scary :wink:

pt40fathoms:
WOW!

Your very first post, and you have managed to not only prove yourself to be arrogant, but in two sentences you have made most of the more experienced divers on this board view you in a very unfavourable light.

Way to go!

Most? 2?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom