The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryukyu-diver

I like to echo JeffG comments, DIR is a system and a mind set. There is a lot of divers diving "DIR" (so they say) that a lot of other DIR divers won't dive with.

Have you tried to swim backward with split fins? Have you ever seen the silt the split fins causes behind you?

Gotta agree on the split fin and silt issue.

Tom R:
Have you tried to swim backward with split fins? Have you ever seen the silt the split fins causes behind you?
I can swim backwards with Bio Fins, and also have not seen any silt issues with them (at least not from my buddy & I).

Tom R:
I take it your leading the dive?
Is this a reply to my post regarding swimming backwards? Not sure I follow (or lead). In general, though, I do not lead the dives - I am not active as an instructor...

I can fin backwards fairly effectively in both my old Jets, and my new (as of last year) Bio Fins. The Jets may be slightly better going backwards, but not enough that I'd notice.

I can maneuver very well in the Bio's - starting to take alot more macro photos underwater and find the Bio's just perform better overall, except maybe all-out speed (though I haven't tested it, so they may be ok there too).

gj62:
Is this a reply to my post regarding swimming backwards? Not sure I follow (or lead). In general, though, I do not lead the dives - I am not active as an instructor...

I can fin backwards fairly effectively in both my old Jets, and my new (as of last year) Bio Fins. The Jets may be slightly better going backwards, but not enough that I'd notice.

I can maneuver very well in the Bio's - starting to take alot more macro photos underwater and find the Bio's just perform better overall, except maybe all-out speed (though I haven't tested it, so they may be ok there too).
I would guess he meant the silt issue....(ie you would not see the silt behind you)

OK....now that I have said what I felt pertained to the thread, I will now state the other side of the coin as I see it.
Yes, split fins do silt up bad but, the point of finning backwards is IMO overstated. I had jet fins a long time ago but found that not only were they hard to put on, make adjustments (no springs back then) but gave me leg cramps. I found that I rarly ever need to fin backwards.
I like alot about the concept of uniformity, fitness, common beliefs / knowledge (just finished 20 years in the Corps).
I like that the instructors get a fitness test every two years.
I like the drills and required skills.
I like how the kit can be applied to different enviroments.

JeffG:
I would guess he meant the silt issue....(ie you would not see the silt behind you)
Nope - I was curious to see if they would be more prone to silting - if anything, I would say they were less. Even kicking close to the bottom with upward (rather than horizontal) trim, we've noticed that the Bio's do not kick up the silt any more so than Jets. This may not be true for all splits, but then I wasn't the one making the generalization...

Ryukyu-diver:
Yes, split fins do silt up bad but,...........

End of story. Everything else beyond this is irrelevant.

A diver wearing split fins kicks up WAY more sand and silt than the same diver wearing another type of fin.

We tested this on the boat with a few split fin clients willing to participate. The difference was incredible. About triple the amount of sand and silt was kicked up. Multiple brands of split fins were used as were multiple brands and styles of non-split fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom