The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai:
We tested this on the boat with a few split fin clients willing to participate. The difference was incredible. About triple the amount of sand and silt was kicked up. Multiple brands of split fins were used as were multiple brands and styles of non-split fins.
Were you tilling on purpose for this experiment?

I've seen folks kick up NO silt using split fins and I've seen divers wearing blade fins emerge from an opaque cloud of silt they stirred up. Whatever kind they are, keeping them off the bottom seems to eliminate the silting problem.

All these answers sound great to me.

Why in the world do you need a DIR setup to dive at Falling Rock Park in LaGrange, Kentucky?

YOU DON'T!

Keep them off the bottom, no argument there.

Definitely not silting on purpose.

We noticed an increase in silt with certain split-fin patrons on the boat and asked them to try using "other" fins for the day. Whatever I could find in the fin-bin got handed out. Most everyone generated a lot less sand and silt.

We are not talking about bouyancy deficient divers, I only did this with experienced divers with good control, and there was a big difference, and it could be seen in all of my video shot that day. I intentionally shot video of both split and non-split fins and showed the divers the difference.

However, one diver could not be helped. I asked that diver to rise a few MORE feet off the bottom. Some people cannot be helped.

Perhaps it is an issue of growing accustomed to kicking properly with split fins. I don't know for sure. I ask many divers what made them choose split fins, most of them tell me about knee joint problems and how much easier on their joints it is to dive with split fins.

CincyBengalsFan:
All these answers sound great to me.

Why in the world do you need a DIR setup to dive at Falling Rock Park in LaGrange, Kentucky?

YOU DON'T!

It's not about needing it. Divers use a Hogarthian configuration because they like it.

A wing, plate and clean hose routing with a hose long enough to comfortably share air is the most streamline, simple rig you could ever put together. Why would you need anything else ever, any place?

And you don't have the unsightly loops of hose sticking out all over. the dangling consol. the clippy dangly slates, retracktors and other junk. You certainly don't need this at Falling Rock park do you?

As the bell rings and ends round 394, Security steps in to keep things under control at Falling Rock Park in LaGrange, Kentucky.

Tom R:
Ryukyu-diver
Have you ever seen the silt the split fins causes behind you?

Not to hijack the thread ... but this question implies one of the larger myths propogated by the anti-split fin crowd.

I put over 600 dives on my old BioFins. And I learned how to dive them without silting.

So to answer your question, no ... I haven't seen the silt behind me. Because I learned how to use my split fins properly.

It ain't the fin that causes silt ... it's the diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Not to hijack the thread ... but this question implies one of the larger myths propogated by the anti-split fin crowd.

I put over 600 dives on my old BioFins. And I learned how to dive them without silting.

So to answer your question, no ... I haven't seen the silt behind me. Because I learned how to use my split fins properly.

It ain't the fin that causes silt ... it's the diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yep, my experience too. However, from other posts I guess the fins suddenly perform differently in Detroit and Ontario, kicking up all sorts of silt for even the best of divers... :eyebrow:

Fins perform differently for different divers. The effectiveness of any fin is dependent on how the diver uses it. Divers who switch from one style to another are likely to conclude the "new" fin is inferior due to the kicking style they've learned previously.

When I switched from my BioFins to my Turtles I was convinced I had made a mistake ... for about 30 dives. Now ... 200 dives later ... I wouldn't want to go back.

That's not because I think the BioFins are inferior ... it's because my diving style and goals have changed to the point where the Turtles are the better tool for the job.

That cannot be applied as a blanket statement ... for many divers, split fins are the better choice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

...use the right tool for the job.

i haven't trusted the "knee-jerk" opposition to splits from certain quarters
since i first noticed it.

A Hogarthian setup is fine but you DONT need it to be DIR as well

No i will not be called number 7 i am a free man,

Other than intentionally my force fins dont kick up silt either

Back
Top Bottom