The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
when was the last time anyone saw DIR, panty hose, and service revolvers in the same thread?

you know... it'd probably make one heck of a movie

Hm.. last week?

Is this a trick question?

actually, it was a rhetorical question...

H2Andy:
you know... it'd probably make one heck of a movie

It sure would Andy...what part would you want to play????

ok, is THAT a trick question?

:eyebrow:

dsgobie:
Because I don't have to. And I like to think for myself.

Ha comedy at its best, the truth is it take a thinking person to evaluate your curent config and compare it to a DIR config. Gear aside the skills and procedures are the best there is and again it takes a thinking person to compare the pros and cons of both. The truth is many folks just dont have a clue and are just following thei PADI instr, so much for thinking for your selfs!

Zippsy:
The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR?

I actually made it to the end of the thread in one sitting! Despite equipment side issues, CPR dogs, great legs... Definately need to get a life...

Reasons I won't do DIR:
1. Posts on this board. Maybe they're a vocal minority (I'm not convinced), but that minority has put me off to the extent that I judge the whole group. I was familiar with horgarthian, but my first experience with DIR was right here. How many times have I seen someone post a legit question about "What's the best...?" and a DIR type replies with "You don't need it," or "throw it away." If it's not DIR than NO ONE should ever consider it.

2. I like to read, research, learn, and play. I like to have the option of using the latest and greatest. Maybe GUE can keep up with change now (which I doubt) but the bigger they get, the slower they will accept change. I predict that their last words will be, "we've never done it that way before."

3. I like to read, research, learn, and play. Thanks to some bad experiences with instructors, I'm primarily self-educated in SCUBA. I don't trust the GUE's attitude of "the book is an intro, the instructors will give you the rest." What if the instructor is a moron?

4. I like to read, research, learn, and play. My rig is changing as I learn and grow. I don't want it dictated to me. I like the challenge of figuring out for myself what suits me best. As I read about DIR, maybe I'll someday I'll end up somewhat hogarthian. Who knows? I study solo diving, as well, but probably won't end up a solo diver, either.

5. It's not a gear configuration, it's a lifestyle. I already have a lifestyle, I don't need yours.

3dent:
I actually made it to the end of the thread in one sitting! Despite equipment side issues, CPR dogs, great legs... Definately need to get a life...

Reasons I won't do DIR:
1. Posts on this board. Maybe they're a vocal minority (I'm not convinced), but that minority has put me off to the extent that I judge the whole group. I was familiar with horgarthian, but my first experience with DIR was right here. How many times have I seen someone post a legit question about "What's the best...?" and a DIR type replies with "You don't need it," or "throw it away." If it's not DIR than NO ONE should ever consider it.

Well, I'm not sure what specific posts you refer to, but much of the equipment sold today is for those that don't have a need for it. It's there for the manufacturer and shop to make money. Pure and simple. While the posts you refer to may have touched a nerve with you (and some may have been on the abrasive side), the bottom line here is that the DIR equipment configuration actually SAVES divers money in the long run.

2. I like to read, research, learn, and play. I like to have the option of using the latest and greatest. Maybe GUE can keep up with change now (which I doubt) but the bigger they get, the slower they will accept change. I predict that their last words will be, "we've never done it that way before."

First of all, your LDS can probably see you coming a mile away. See above answer. Secondly, DIR changes when things are deemed to be NECESSARY. If it's not necessary, we don't use it. Can't be more simple than that. You like gadgets (the lastest and the greatest). But does that make you a better diver?

3. I like to read, research, learn, and play. Thanks to some bad experiences with instructors, I'm primarily self-educated in SCUBA. I don't trust the GUE's attitude of "the book is an intro, the instructors will give you the rest." What if the instructor is a moron?

Self taught? Bad experiences? So you throw out the whole instructor idea? Interesting. Do yourself a favor and read the requirements for becoming a GUE instructor. Then compare it to the agencies that you are familiar with. Bottom line-they don't give "morons" an instructor card in GUE.

4. I like to read, research, learn, and play. My rig is changing as I learn and grow. I don't want it dictated to me. I like the challenge of figuring out for myself what suits me best. As I read about DIR, maybe I'll someday I'll end up somewhat hogarthian. Who knows? I study solo diving, as well, but probably won't end up a solo diver, either.

I know. We've heard it forever. Personal choice. Which works perfectly fine until you get into the water and have a cluster because everyone has excercised their personal choice and no one has a clue how to solve the "personal choice" problems.

5. It's not a gear configuration, it's a lifestyle. I already have a lifestyle, I don't need yours.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall........

I like to read, research, learn, play, and THINK.

Dive safe.

detroit diver:
First of all, your LDS can probably see you coming a mile away. See above answer. Secondly, DIR changes when things are deemed to be NECESSARY. If it's not necessary, we don't use it. Can't be more simple than that. You like gadgets (the lastest and the greatest). But does that make you a better diver?
I would also ask, Does is make you less of a diver? Just because a gadget doesn't make you a better diver doesn't mean that it is wrong. How do you know it won't benefit you if you don't try it. If someone wants to try something out, I don't see the problem. If it doesn't add the expected benefit they will quit using it. OTOH they might find it helpful and continue to use it. Either way, if they want to spend their money on it then what's the problem. If trying a few gadgets out helps them learn, then all the better. I think the DIR trainig would probably produce better divers overall. I can't fault them for their improved skills and in most cases they are probably safer divers. I just think they shouldn't look down their noses at those who are less experienced and want to try some other options. It's the "you're all going to kill yourself because your not DIR attitude" that some DIR trained divers exhibit that I don't appreciate. Yes, there are a number of gadgets that if you think about it long enough you can figure out that it won't be that useful. But it doesn't mean it was wrong for someone to try it.

I guess it really depends on what gadget you're trying out! Seriously, most of the stuff out there has been tried by various folks within the DIR ranks-(except for the most obviously stupid stuff ) and it's been either accepted as useful for the dive, or rejected as not useful or not needed. This is not a group of neophyte divers that lives in a cave(pun intended). They know about the "latest and greatest" gadgets and evaluate their potential for effectiveness and failure. If it doesn't stand up to the most rigourous scrutiny, then I don't want to be using it either.

I don't have any problem with people spending their money on whatever they want to spend it on. People buy stupid stuff all the time. I am just very fortunate to have not wasted hard earned dollars on well-marketed-but-less-than-optimal products.

"I think the DIR trainig would probably produce better divers overall. I can't fault them for their improved skills and in most cases they are probably safer divers"

Well, you've pretty much summed it up. It just amazes me that some folks still want to reinvent the wheel.....

spiderman:
I would also ask, Does is make you less of a diver? Just because a gadget doesn't make you a better diver doesn't mean that it is wrong. How do you know it won't benefit you if you don't try it. If someone wants to try something out, I don't see the problem. If it doesn't add the expected benefit they will quit using it. OTOH they might find it helpful and continue to use it. Either way, if they want to spend their money on it then what's the problem. If trying a few gadgets out helps them learn, then all the better. I think the DIR trainig would probably produce better divers overall. I can't fault them for their improved skills and in most cases they are probably safer divers. I just think they shouldn't look down their noses at those who are less experienced and want to try some other options. It's the "you're all going to kill yourself because your not DIR attitude" that some DIR trained divers exhibit that I don't appreciate. Yes, there are a number of gadgets that if you think about it long enough you can figure out that it won't be that useful. But it doesn't mean it was wrong for someone to try it.

I don't know alot about DIR/GUE. I've heard good and bad. I like some of their ideas, others i can't use. All i do is recreational diving. I have no use for tec diving right now. That said, heres my $.02:
DIR is great for people who like it, but i don't like the insinuation that my way of diving is wrong just because it is not the same as theirs. I believe each style of diving has it's own meathods and lifestyle. DIR isn't mine, although it makes me think hard about a lot of things and through that probably improves my diving whether i go the DIR way or not.

Also when i was checking out the GUE website i found some intersting statements and would like to have them clarified for me by a diver in the know.

"However, the GUE curriculum is structured with the assumption that participants are not threatened by a conviction that one style may be more effective than another."

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't GUE "threated by a conviction" that all ways of diving besides theirs is not "effective"?

"GUE representatives are not attempting to label other techniques ineffective or dangerous, but they would be irresponsible not to feature the highly effective and popular style used by all of our members."

OK, so meathods other than DIR aren't ineffective/dangerous but it is irresponsible to use these other techniques?

Sorry if i just ruined a such a nice polite thread :sorry19z:, but i had to spout off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom