The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
What manufacturer has those videos?

It was Apollo's "bio-fin", but the videos on their website are probably not the same ones that I saw back in August 1999 from which my comment originates.

Here's what I wrote back on that date:

(from23Aug99):
Bio-fins MIGHT work, but the physics as explained on their website doesn't cut it.

Also, if you look at some of their movie files, take a real close look at the one that shows how they don't kick up silt on the bottom (vs std) and look at the difference in orientation of the two divers...they differ by only a few inches, but he "bad" diver has his hips below his shoulders and is vectoring up (probably because he's negatively bouyant) and the BioFin diver is the opposite. Again, there MIGHT be a real difference, but this "Test" was bogus...someone needs to take a class in Test & Experiment Design.

Bad science is bad science, but that doesn't stop the Myths from being propogated for years.

-hh

drbill:
I am probably a poster child for non-DIR diving, but my methods work for me (at least so far after 42 years of diving)... ...Seriously, my diving is different from that of a lot of other divers... ....So my advice... be open-minded, don't close your mind to what DIR can teach you. However, you don't have to become a "true believer" (unless you do believe).

Dr. Bill

I have to say well 'said'.
...different tools & processes for different specific situations.
Also Experience is a major factor for considerations.

Top ten things said by DIR buddies

10. Define ill reasoned.
9. Dear, I'll recover.
8. Dipstick in rear.
7. Deco is rad!
6. Dark in rectum.
5. Damn. I'm respected.
4. Deep in (self) reverie.
3. Dude, I'm ripped!
2. Dollars in retail.
1. Dan is ready

Ooops suspended again

freborg:
Top ten things said by DIR buddies

6. Dark in rectum.

i take it you speak from your own experience?

H2Andy:
also, i wouldn't blame the business for providing a product/service that people
want to buy.

Right on Andy! One million divers a year want a quick convienient introduction to the underwater world. They dont want to become experts, they just want to chase fish and look at coral while on vacation.

Give the customer what they want. The client dictates what the industry provides, not the instructor or the eqiupment manufacturer.

The guys in the white shirts and ties who come to my door Sunday evenings.......................are they DIR divers?????

QuoVadis:
The guys in the white shirts and ties who come to my door Sunday evenings.......................are they DIR divers?????
What they want is a spare puncture repair kit for their bikes - or at least the ones around here all ride bikes (great for the environment) - but they are religious zealots of a sort - easy to mistake!

simbrooks:
What they want is a spare puncture repair kit for their bikes - or at least the ones around here all ride bikes (great for the environment) - but they are religious zealots of a sort - easy to mistake!
Spare puncture repair kit!!! Thats a good one...................

What do I do next????

cancun mark:
What do I do next????
And you dive that??? You are likely to get yourself killed with practices like that! Is that a low volume mask? And arent you a little young to be taking up diving? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom