Things I learned in first 20 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warm salt water dives are much more fun than cold (70 degree) freshwater spring diving simply because you don't have to have a wet suit.

At some point you will jump in the water with the air off ... you CAN reach your valves right?

Already did that one:dork2:

I was having reg issues with the rental equip. and the inst gave me his extra reg. so I was turning off and turning on tank, resetting up everthing and thought I had it back on. We were rushed to get back in the water. We did the stride off the dock and then the compass surface with. I came back from my surface swim and said to the inst. "something is not right, every time I take a breath, my mask sucks onto my face." He of course did not believe me, he took my reg and started breathing from it, he then realized I had it on just no all the way. He still didi not believe me until he looked at my guage and saw it move every time he took a breath from it. Enough to pull a breath but no enough to make breathing easy.

I guess I can cross this one off my list.

Don't think I can add anything to the list. Enjoyed seeing myself in these experiences and curious when I will experience some I have not as of yet.

I remember that first dive. It was 1969 and in Lake Underhill here in Orlando Fl. I remember these observations:
  • Tying the tank on your back with rope is less than ideal.
  • You can put too much anti fog in your mask.
  • Surfacing next to a HUGE moccasin is quite stressful.
  • It's hard to keep track of your buddy when you don't have a plan.
  • Concrete docks hurt if you run into them.
  • Diving, even in a dark urban lake is incredibly fun.

Over the next year I learned:
  • J-valves are not fool proof (they get bumped)
  • Florida lakes have gators but they don't like bubbles.
  • It can be a LONG swim back to shore if you run out of air deep. No BC means you have to support you and the tank.

When I got certified, many, many years later the first things I learned:
  • Gauges are GREAT!
  • BCDs are WONDERFUL!
  • I even like having an Octo.
  • People don't like it when I like my lick my mask clean.

A few years later I found ScubaBoard I learned a few more things:
  • I was doing a safety pause, not a safety stop.
  • There are lot more places to dive.
  • There are a lot more buddies to dive with.
  • Dive Shops like to push their brands.

If you don't have a convenience zip in your dry suit you will need a bladder of steel waiting for someone to unzip you.

At some point you will jump in to the water on a night dive and watch your expensive light slowly fill up with water.

That UW Camaras are NOT water proof:(

Yes, first UW camara gone!!!!

Was going to fix this for you, but TDFleming beat me to it!

At some point you will jump in to the water on a night dive and watch your expensive [-]light[/-] camera slowly fill up with water.

I know the LDS said they could add more D rings if needed. I would take your BC to where you bought it and see if they can get you set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom