Things no one told you about diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaticLife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I had my first SCUBA class last night :D Of course, being the first night, it was just safety videos and signing away all right, privileges, beliefs, and I think they got my right arm too... :confused:

Anyways, after I got home, my roommate who has taken SCUBA, told me to put on a ton of chapstick before getting in the pool and to bring water. It makes a lot of sense, chapstick because stretching your mouth around the breathing apparatus and being in chlorine will dry your lips out to no end. Water, because you are breathing dry air with no moisture and your throat will dry out. It makes a lot of sense but the instructor never mentioned it, and I'm pretty sure i would have never thought of it.

I firmly believe in learning by doing, but in this case I want to have as many tips as possible. So what has everyone picked up over the years?

(On a side note, I am super excited about today!! :cool2: I have wanted to SCUBA dive for the longest time now. At first everything we were being told about the BC and how important it is made me a little nervous but I am setting out today with the goal of being the safest diver in the class, and really trying to wrap my head around the BC. *side note off*)

Neither of those 2 have ever been a problem with me------up to 1.5+ hour dives in the past etc etc......I guess he/she will tell you of the more important things---like never hold your breath, don't come too fast, & how to equalize & clear your mask......I would esp. listen carefully to the last 4 I mentioned.......Enjoy your classes & your future in diving, it's a whole different world down there, literally.....

I don't know how long they keep you in the pool these days but, the second pool session I showed up with 1/8" (2M) vest. Even warm water gets cold if you stay and work in it long enough.

My daughter just about lost a wrist compass she was only using the strap on my wrist compass and wrist dive computer (the same as her all knowing father). Luckily a lady behind us saw it fall and gave it back to us. She then showed us a simple trick of using a shoe lace to loop through a whole in the wrist band and looping the shoe lace over our wrist as well so that if the buckle lets go, it is still hanging by the shoe lace. Loosing the $75 compass would have hurt, but I realize it just as easily could have been the $400 computer.

I failed my first open water dive---mask leaked, BCD didn't fit properly, and to top that I was a bit nervous---I took it again, and passed, now I am so happy that I did!!!

Kathy Dowsett

www.kirkscubagear.com

They also won't mention the fact that it's an extremely addicting hobby and that you'll spend more money than you ever imagined on gear and getting to destinations. (It's all worth it.)

I did my OW course with SSI.
The course was composed of 16 room sessions and 16 pool sessions. Both room and pool sessions were done the same day 1.5 hours room and 1.5 hours pool.
In every pool session we swimm the first 20 minutes.

My 3 biggies:
1. weight belts will slip-consider harness or suspenders. More of a problem with guys I hear.
2. tanks will slip. Cosider "Bio Tank Lock", something similar, or BCD with 2 straps.
3. spring straps, instead of buckles on fins are the way to go.

Equalize early and often.

The addicting nature of the sport is one that people tried to warn me about, but I didnt listen.

One suggestion I'll make is dive whenever you get a chance, if you are actually planning on it being a hobby. Figure out what you like and get your own gear ASAP. I know people will say to take your time, and try stuff out, and I do agree to try to try stuff out, but paying $50'ish a pop to rent gear adds up FAST towards new equipment. Now, if you arent planning on actually doing it often, may not make as much sense.

I echo the sentiment that you will be surprised at how quickly you will get cold in a heated pool. If you intend to dive where you would use a wetsuit, buy it now, and use it for class.

Having a mask that fits well reduces class stress enormously. And don't forget to clean a new mask with toothpaste, so it doesn't fog!

Most of all, just relax and have a good time. Diving is a wonderful sport. Oh, and you might get a kick out of reading my journal of my open water class (link in my sig line).

Back
Top Bottom