Time for a new forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
DIR forum, what does this really mean?
No, I'm not looking for the definition of DIR.
As Shakespeare already said: "to DIR or not to DIR" or something like that :D
I believe this forum was started just like the term itself, with the intention to bring "like minded divers" closer together.
Times are changing and it will only get worse.
Today it has become clear that one DIR is better than another DIR, all of a sudden there are many "other" agencies claiming to be DIR and there are many instructors claiming to teach DIR and having done so long before the term came into existence.
There are also divers taking a class and suddenly believe they have been promoted from stroke to dive god by simply participating in a course.
In either case it might be true, it might not be true.
The one thing that confuses me the most, is when someone is looking for a "DIR answer" many might mean to ask GUE trained divers and simply don't know that there is a difference and others might mean to ask anybody who considers themselves to be DIR of their opinions.
Many times the (what I call) anti DIR/GUE legion moves in and posts away. Many times divers who consider themselves to be DIR answer with what they consider is the DIR answer and other times a GUE trained diver gives an answer that only would apply to GUE DIR. After this, it usually turns into one of those never ending post wars, which has let to the result that many knowledgebale divers simply don't post anymore and/or moved on.
The confusion even has let GUE to start with the renaming of their class from DIR-F to GUE-F
There should be an appropriate place for everything.
How about a new forum? a forum called "GUE trained divers".
Make the rule clear, if you want to ask a DIR question, post it in the DIR forum and anybody who considers themselves DIR or simply has an opinion about it can post away and if you want to ask a GUE specific question post it in the GUE trained diver forum and only GUE trained divers should answer the question.
If you're not GUE trained, you have absolutely no business in answering a question in the GUE trained divers forum and this should be easy to be controlled.
Just my 2 psi

only GUE trained divers should answer the question.

Then it opens the door to those of us with GUE training who are complete, solo, sidemount diving, card carrying strokes.

Then it opens the door to those of us with GUE training who are complete, solo, sidemount diving, card carrying strokes.

just think of the fun havoc you could cause. :wink:

Personally, I just think the DIR forum should be made opt-in. Then I can yell at mdb, dan f aleman, one bright gator, etc, etc that they should just opt-out if they've got such a huge frikkin problem with DIR...

Personally, I just think the DIR forum should be made opt-in. Then I can yell at mdb, dan f aleman, one bright gator, etc, etc that they should just opt-out if they've got such a huge frikkin problem with DIR...

I think they got Opt'd out anyways.

If you have a GUE specific question, why not call GUE?

If I want to figure out how long to cook a thanksgiving turkey, I call 411.

"1-800-GUE-DIVE; Hello how can I help you?"
"Is it ok to have a 5 foot hose on my single tank set up?"
"Take a class."

"1-800-GUE-DIVE; Hello how can I help you?"
"Is it ok to have a 5 foot hose on my single tank set up?"
"Take a class."

Well, they could post on the Gavin Scooter list. :wink:

It seems there IS nothing to discuss. If you're DIR, and have made the commitment, you know what is or isn't DIR. What can be questioned?

It seems there IS nothing to discuss. If you're DIR, and have made the commitment, you know what is or isn't DIR. What can be questioned?

Clearly that is incorrect.

The initial poster on the "When do you run a line?" thread was DIR-inclined and was trying to ask an honest question because they didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom