Time for a new forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.........No..........No........You're close to the solution but not quite all the way there. Simply Split the current DIR forum in two. People can opt into one but not both of the new Sub-Forums. They can choose to associate with either those who are "Doin' It Properly" or those who are "Doin' It Correctly". But not both.(think about it)

Really, though. As long as you are referring to doing it "Right", then you have to let everyone discuss what is the "Right" way, and isn't that the point. Otherwise you're just tellin' folks to do it "because" and there's nothin' "Right" about that. The DIR forum isn't unique, hate to tell you lot. Go look at the regulator threads,"I'm new, which one should I buy?". "I'm new, will a $??? reg be o.k.?" "I'm new, are XXX worth the extra money?"

Get over it.

Oh and by the way. Until, DIR can accept that some unified teams are going to find a more optimal way to approach their not so unique missions. It's still not "Right".

No.........No..........No........You're close to the solution but not quite all the way there. Simply Split the current DIR forum in two. People can opt into one but not both of the new Sub-Forums. They can choose to associate with either those who are "Doin' It Properly" or those who are "Doin' It Correctly". But not both.(think about it)

Really, though. As long as you are referring to doing it "Right", then you have to let everyone discuss what is the "Right" way, and isn't that the point. Otherwise you're just tellin' folks to do it "because" and there's nothin' "Right" about that. The DIR forum isn't unique, hate to tell you lot. Go look at the regulator threads,"I'm new, which one should I buy?". "I'm new, will a $??? reg be o.k.?" "I'm new, are XXX worth the extra money?"

Get over it.

Oh and by the way. Until, DIR can accept that some unified teams are going to find a more optimal way to approach their not so unique missions. It's still not "Right".
You obviously don't have a clue.

The fact is that ScubaBoard's DIR forum has become a huge joke. The 800lbs gorilla Pete is so proud of has taken a dump and I think it landed in here.

Opt in is the way to go - one troll and you are banned from the DIR forum, not ScubaBoard as trolling is what makes it tick, or so it appears.

A GUE sub-forum would be nice.

You obviously don't have a clue.

The fact is that ScubaBoard's DIR forum has become a huge joke. The 800lbs gorilla Pete is so proud of has taken a dump and I think it landed in here.

Opt in is the way to go - one troll and you are banned from the DIR forum, not ScubaBoard as trolling is what makes it tick, or so it appears.

A GUE sub-forum would be nice.

You are obviously lacking a sense of humor. Or, the post was simply lost on you.

The fact is that to label a forum Doing It Right and then forbid discussion of how BEST to do it is just as much a joke.

Who defines a troll? At what level of training and from what agency am I suddening exhaulted from lemming peon who should do as told, to grand puhba capable of discussing when and how a change to the system should be made, either in my little team or the community as a whole? Is question why encouraged? Or is it not?

Your wording of "DIR inclined" is part of the problem. Clearly, some ask questions to this forum due to their complete lack of knowledge of DIR and get labeled a troll.

Actually the OP was not trolling at all and I thought it was a pretty reasonable question. If you're DIR when do you run line? Whether its slightly different or exactly the same as any other safe, prudent diver who cares?

I agree that this forum is a joke. Give me a can of whup *ss and I'd ban 50+ accounts right now, delete or move a slew of inapproriate posts by people who know better, and maybe, just maybe this subforum can start to function as a place where discussion can actually occur. 'till then its just comic relief.

Who defines a troll? At what level of training and from what agency am I suddening exhaulted from lemming peon who should do as told, to grand puhba capable of discussing when and how a change to the system should be made, either in my little team or the community as a whole? Is question why encouraged? Or is it not?

This is so laughable, you really think changes happen based on SB?? Take the class, Go dive with your buddies, you'll figure it out

Is question why encouraged? Or is it not?

Questioning why isn't what people are objecting to ... complaining about what some supposed DIR guy said to you, promoting "alternative" gear, discussing "DIR solo diving", and things like that may (or may not) be legitimate topics ... but they should not be discussed in this forum.

If you want to make comparisons ... what goes on in the solo forum? Do you have people coming in there and starting threads about why people shouldn't solo dive? Or what some solo diver said or did that they found insulting?

If you want to object to DIR, or whine about something someone said that you didn't like, there are many more appropriate forums for that discussion ... this one's supposed to be here to discuss DIR with people who actually want to talk about it, learn about it, and consider whether or not that's a good approach for them to take.

I also believe two things should happen ...

1) make the forum opt-in
2) assign someone (JeffG gets my vote) to "opt-out" chronic disrupters

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2) assign someone (JeffG gets my vote) to "opt-out" chronic disrupters

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have an "Ask Jeff" forum? (must have thick skin) in fine print. :D

DIR forum, what does this really mean?
No, I'm not looking for the definition of DIR.
As Shakespeare already said: "to DIR or not to DIR" or something like that :D
I believe this forum was started just like the term itself, with the intention to bring "like minded divers" closer together.
Times are changing and it will only get worse.
Today it has become clear that one DIR is better than another DIR, all of a sudden there are many "other" agencies claiming to be DIR and there are many instructors claiming to teach DIR and having done so long before the term came into existence.
There are also divers taking a class and suddenly believe they have been promoted from stroke to dive god by simply participating in a course.
In either case it might be true, it might not be true.
The one thing that confuses me the most, is when someone is looking for a "DIR answer" many might mean to ask GUE trained divers and simply don't know that there is a difference and others might mean to ask anybody who considers themselves to be DIR of their opinions.
Many times the (what I call) anti DIR/GUE legion moves in and posts away. Many times divers who consider themselves to be DIR answer with what they consider is the DIR answer and other times a GUE trained diver gives an answer that only would apply to GUE DIR. After this, it usually turns into one of those never ending post wars, which has let to the result that many knowledgebale divers simply don't post anymore and/or moved on.
The confusion even has let GUE to start with the renaming of their class from DIR-F to GUE-F
There should be an appropriate place for everything.
How about a new forum? a forum called "GUE trained divers".
Make the rule clear, if you want to ask a DIR question, post it in the DIR forum and anybody who considers themselves DIR or simply has an opinion about it can post away and if you want to ask a GUE specific question post it in the GUE trained diver forum and only GUE trained divers should answer the question.
If you're not GUE trained, you have absolutely no business in answering a question in the GUE trained divers forum and this should be easy to be controlled.
Just my 2 psi

IMO, these guys & gals ought to hit gue.com or any of the other places they already have.......Would work for me........:D

IMO, these guys & gals ought to hit gue.com or any of the other places they already have.......Would work for me........:D

Yup ... my point ... a handful of folks on here are intentionally trying to torpedo this forum ... mostly because they have issues with DIR and are doing their part to push discussion of it off of ScubaBoard.

Unfortunately, to a degree, they are succeeding.

Perhaps it would be better if those of you who don't like DIR would just not visit this forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

this is what I am talking about:
You are in the DIR forum. The DIR forum is a No Trolling Zone. This forum is for a free exchange of ideas concerning the DIR philosophy. Please do not answer questions with non-DIR answers.
this line is on top of the DIR forum, but obviously the part: Please do not answer questions with non-DIR answers is completely ignored and nothing is being done about it.
Question: "is doing XYZ" considered DIR"
Answer: "I'm not DIR, but....."
Answer: "I'm a solo diver and I believe ........"
Answer: "I hate those DIR people and that's why I ............."
It is clear that some individuals make it their life mission to answer questions in a way to start a fight and disrupt the thread.
Why are those individual posts not deleted?
why are those people still able to keep on posting in the DIR forum?

I think we're getting somewhere, to opt-in would be a good start and individuals could easily be identified and banned from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom