Time for a new forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why isnt it opt-in only? Half the annoying replies might be stopped since there are so many people that only look through the recent post list and blindly posts regardless of what forum its in.

Of course the trolls would still come in but at lease it might eliminate some of the honest posts that give non-dir answers because they dont know they are in the dir forum.

Make it opt-in already, sheez.

DIR forum, what does this really mean?
How about a new forum? a forum called "GUE trained divers".
Make the rule clear, if you want to ask a DIR question, post it in the DIR forum and anybody who considers themselves DIR or simply has an opinion about it can post away and if you want to ask a GUE specific question post it in the GUE trained diver forum and only GUE trained divers should answer the question.
If you're not GUE trained, you have absolutely no business in answering a question in the GUE trained divers forum and this should be easy to be controlled.
Just my 2 psi

A code number would work. Similar to the instructors forum. Anyone could enter a question but only GUE trained divers from fundies on up could answer. :dork2:

One thing to consider.

If you're a single, and you see "Singles Forum - Opt In", you know whether you want to be there (or not).

Same thing with most other opt-in forums.

But if you're a brand new OW diver and you find SB, you have no idea what "DIR" is or whether it might be something you'd be interested in or not.

An opt-in forum attracts less attention from those who haven't opted in, particularly if they don't have any idea what its all about.

So keeping any forum from being an 'opt-in' forum opens it to a greater number of divers who may be interested in it, but are not familiar with the concept or terminology. Also, remember this is an international board, and DIR is not as familiar in other parts of the world as it is in the US - and there are parts of the US where it is virtually unknown as well.

just points to ponder...

No.........No..........No........You're close to the solution but not quite all the way there. Simply Split the current DIR forum in two. People can opt into one but not both of the new Sub-Forums. They can choose to associate with either those who are "Doin' It Properly" or those who are "Doin' It Correctly". But not both.(think about it)

Really, though. As long as you are referring to doing it "Right", then you have to let everyone discuss what is the "Right" way, and isn't that the point. Otherwise you're just tellin' folks to do it "because" and there's nothin' "Right" about that. The DIR forum isn't unique, hate to tell you lot. Go look at the regulator threads,"I'm new, which one should I buy?". "I'm new, will a $??? reg be o.k.?" "I'm new, are XXX worth the extra money?"

Get over it.

Oh and by the way. Until, DIR can accept that some unified teams are going to find a more optimal way to approach their not so unique missions. It's still not "Right".

Prime example of someone who should be banned from the DIR forum.

Don't need to get into the argument about the name again for the 1000th time. Completely pointless waste of everyone's time. I do hope posting that made you feel superior, fweber.

Because the DIR forum would become a sterile wasteland. it would consist of someone asking a question and then waiting for one of the 3-4 people who come here who actuality have serious GUE/DIR credentials to answer it. That would be guys like RTodd and MHK. Almost every thread in here would be two posts long. No offense to everyone else with GUE training intended.

OMG, sign me up! A forum where every question was answered in 2-3 posts by RTodd and MHK? Sounds wonderful! Mostly the reason why I read this forum is to catch the occasional post by RTodd. If we cut the forum back to the point where 25% of the posts were his that would greatly increase the signal to noise ratio.

One thing to consider.

If you're a single, and you see "Singles Forum - Opt In", you know whether you want to be there (or not).

But if you're a brand new OW diver and you find SB, you have no idea what "DIR" is or whether it might be something you'd be interested in or not.

An opt-in forum attracts less attention from those who haven't opted in, particularly if they don't have any idea what its all about.

So keeping any forum from being an 'opt-in' forum opens it to a greater number of divers who may be interested in it, but are not familiar with the concept or terminology. Also, remember this is an international board, and DIR is not as familiar in other parts of the world as it is in the US - and there are parts of the US where it is virtually unknown as well.

just points to ponder...

There will be sufficient flamewars about DIR going on in the other sections of the board to steer BOW divers to the DIR forum if they're interested...

Because the DIR forum would become a sterile wasteland. it would consist of someone asking a question and then waiting for one of the 3-4 people who come here who actuality have serious GUE/DIR credentials to answer it. That would be guys like RTodd and MHK. Almost every thread in here would be two posts long. No offense to everyone else with GUE training intended.

These debates would just go elsewhere, including, I think, most of the participants on both sides. Those places would then (and already do) see similar threads as this one. In short these arguments are going to happen and is here not as good a spot as any? If you want the heavy moderated DIR discussion there are other places already set up for just that.

One of the few reasons I even bother reading this forum is because I get bored at work and there is some entertainment factor watching the usual suspects argue with the usual suspects. :)

As I understand it, Scubaboard has a bigger audience than several of the top scuba mags - combined. New divers and veterans alike participate in the discussions here. It is a great place to learn about diving no matter what your preferences are.

Personally, I hate to seeing this place continuing on its current path (seemingly every DIR related discussion devolving into an internet version of a bar fight). It sucks for those who are knowledgeable about DIR and trying to discuss their discipline with other like minded divers and it sucks for the newbs (like me) who have an honest interest in looking for alternatives outside of what one gets with PADI and the other garden variety agencies.

I am not looking for a heavily moderated forum to go to discuss my diving style preference. I am looking for a place where there is some level of serious interest in the topic. I want to learn from the veterans but also share what I know to those who are just getting into the game. This place is not so good for the first part (most of the real authorities on the subject are smart enough to stay away from these mud slinging contests) but great for the second part. For me, I am perfectly happy with less activity in this forum provided that the activity we do have here is conducted by people who have a serious interest in learning about DIR or are capable to describe DIR with some degree of accuracy. The all out fights can take place in the general discussions forum. There, you are supposedly not restricted so you can let people know what you really think.

If you are looking for entertainment at work, I would suggest to you that there are plenty of other/more appropriate outlets.

A code number would work. Similar to the instructors forum. Anyone could enter a question but only GUE trained divers from fundies on up could answer. :dork2:

Personally I would prefer if fundies people were allowed "read only" access.

One thing to consider.

just points to ponder...

As is, newbs not only get DIR information from this forum, they get more than their share of disinformation. Have a read through the "Why not DIR" thread. Even the so called long time divers have all kinds of misconceptions about DIR.

It is clear this forum is riddled with problems. Leaving it as is serves little purpose other than to provide a place for people bored at work to watch the internet version of scuba mixed martial arts.

One thing to consider.

just points to ponder...
How about something similar to the instructor's panel where everyone could view and read it, but only people who "opt-in" could post?

Lately, this forum has been like watching lawyers argue about golf rules. I liked it better when it was actually about diving.

Here's a free smiley :fruit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom