• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Time to open the Solo Forum?

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Akimbo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, I have followed it all. If you recall mine was the first post that pointed you toward the solo forum, an implicit invitation to join. However, I then expect you to abide by the established rules of the forum. Which I copied and pasted into this thread for you. Did you read them?

And you are right, I was born a solo diver. I didn't have to ask anyone if I could be one.

2. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

OK, you are new on Scubaboard. You ain't seen nottin. :wink:

Seriously, the mention of solo was vitriolic in Basic and Advanced forums not long ago. It seems that the entire tone has changed in the last year or two, which precipitated the suggestion to open the Solo forum. Search the word "solo" and look at posts from 2013 and before outside the Solo forum. It was worse than IWR (In Water Recompression) or recipes for baby seal sliders.

shoredivr and SeaHorse81 like this.
  3. knotical

knotical perpetual student

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Unfortunately if an impolite post is not reported, it is likely to remain.
    One post in that thread was reported and subsequently removed, but others …

4. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Fotunately, unlike the gubbermint, we can use common sense. Having a discussion about the relative issues with solo diving is one thing: debating them is quite another. The biggest thing is that this is a no troll zone. If you feel a poster is simply being argumentative or trollish, report the post. The mods will look at it a bit more dispassionately. If they agree, the post will disappear. If not, it will remain.

As we have grown over the years, it's been my desire to let the community define it's own limits. They let us know what's acceptable and what is not by using the report post button. Akimbo actually reported the post asking to open up the forum. We read the discussion and while we often try to come to some mutual agreement, in this case I was about the only person who could remember why it was closed in the first place. :D My how things have changed. So I made an executive decision to normalize relations with Cuba, er the Solo Diving forum. If we need to tweak it as time passes, we can do that. We try to give you what you want!

Hawkwood likes this.
  5. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    :rofl3:

Cuba would have been easier, you should have asked Elena...

6. The Chairman

The running joke in our family is that while I don't speak Spanish, I do kiss Cuban. :D :D :D

lowviz likes this.
  7. Z Gear

Z Gear Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'm sorry I don't know what you are referring to "you are born a solo diver" perhaps you have confused me with some one else, I never mentioned this phrase.

You are probably aware of how some got carried away on criticism of my posting the solo question or even to have the audacity to open up this discussion. Someone actually reported it and the moderator took care of it. But it does demonstrate how some are really not capable of presenting their point of view without resorting to ridicule or other forms of negative expressions.

You know, it doesn't have to be this way.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 08:50 PM ----------

Well you ask for it so here it is:

YOU HAVE ENTERED THE SOLO DIVE FORUM

This forum is open to NON SOLO DIVERS interested in solo diving as well as EXPERIENCED SOLO DIVERS who want to discuss the limits, skills and techniques
    as well as relative merits related to solo diving.

Those "OPPOSED" to solo diving are "NOT" allowed to express this view point on this forum.
    OFFENDERS WILL BE BLOCKED FROM PARTICIPATING ON THIS FORUM

What do you think?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    The Chairman likes this.
  8. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Z gear. I see you may be getting close to slipping on your big kids underoos.

9. Z Gear

Z Gear Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Is that what you wear too? Wow isn't it great!

10. The Chairman

As you did before you edited one of your posts. Kudos for that, but realize that we are all human. None of us are perfect and emotions can get the best of us. If you see a post that is border line or over the top, rather than escalate it, report it. Yeah, it's hard to pass up the opportunity to zing back, but it derails the thread.

It doesn't, but it does take two to fight. Many take umbrage when someone asks a question and then doesn't accept the answer given. It's easy to cast blame and aspersions on everyone else rather than to analyze your own posting style. If you want to communicate, then it's up to you to alter your approach to elicit the desired results.

This actually inspired me to change it somewhat. Perhaps it's a bit more clear on our intent:

Z Gear and Akimbo like this.