Tipping Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fila56

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody willing to tell me what percentage or how much to tip a Divemaster after one trip for a job well done?

If it's 2 tanks, i will tip 20 dollars. Sometimes more if my buddies come up short. I will budget about 250 for a dive week for tips and such. The dive masters make nothing in Cayman, and without them, I'm swimming to the buoys. Cheers

$10/tank is fair. You'll find posts with regards to $5/tank, but that is an old rate. Expenses have gone up. If I had a divemaster that did a really spectacular job/looked after a loved one (so that I could take pictures and such), I'd probably give them a C note at the end of the trip.

So unless they suck, pull out octopuses from the ground, and so on, I'd say starting is $10/tank. There are some great divemasters who deserve more, but that is up to you.

$10/tank is about right.

Is this
- A divermaster for the entire boat that helps you some but is not a guide in the water
- A divemaster who guides a group in the water that you are part of
-A private divemaster who guides just you or just the two of you.

Affects how I tip.

Anybody willing to tell me what percentage or how much to tip a Divemaster after one trip for a job well done?

Where will you be?

Same as a server. 10-20%. That's what I give.
Locally dives I usually get nothing.

assuming the DM is helping on the deck and is guiding in the water and really working i tip $10 per tank. If it is a tec trip and the DM is working harder i'll add an additional $5-$10. As an instructor (but not if i am actively teaching) if i am comped the dive then i'll tip $30-$40. If i am teaching, i tip zero but force my students to tip $10 per tank.

As a crew member, if i get to know you as a poor tipper it becomes like the pizza delivery guy. Sometimes the pizza gets there cold....sometimes the cheese slides to one side.

As a crew member, if i get to know you as a poor tipper it becomes like the pizza delivery guy. Sometimes the pizza gets there cold....sometimes the cheese slides to one side.

Yep, way to go... :no:

Tipping is one of the most contentious issues in the tourism industry. People have funny ideas about the level of service they expect to receive and generally fail to manage their expectations. By the same token, there are lots of DMs out their who have poor people skills. In any case while I try to be fair when tipping, I tend to agree with Steve_C's approach regarding context.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom