Tipping on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious if people don’t tip, tip less, or tip normally when they get bad service realizing many dive guides make their living off of tips.

Basic Examples:

1) Dive guide cannot find the correct dive site that you paid the shop extra for

2) Dive guide has, but will not give you the weight you ask for because they are to lazy to get it, because it is on a weight belt and you have integrated weights.

3) Dive guide will not allow you to take off your gear in the water when boarding because they have to lift it out of the water.

Just curious if people don’t tip, tip less, or tip normally when they get bad service realizing many dive guides make their living off of tips.

Basic Examples:

1) Dive guide cannot find the correct dive site that you paid the shop extra for

2) Dive guide has, but will not give you the weight you ask for because they are to lazy to get it, because it is on a weight belt and you have integrated weights.

3) Dive guide will not allow you to take off your gear in the water when boarding because they have to lift it out of the water.

1... I really don't care where I am underwater. I almost think it's comical that people insist on going to different sites all the time... I could dive the same exact site several times in a row and enjoy it equally the 1st time and 10th time. Actually the 10th time may be MORE enjoyable, as I'd have my bearings and be able to navigate a significant amount on my own, with little thought or attention.

2... Yeah, I don't mind handling my own gear, and walking over to the weights to grab what I need. But with that in mind if the DM or Captain didn't ALLOW me to access the weights, or if they forced me to use a weight belt as opposed to giving me individual weights I'd tip very little, or nothing. It's my opinion that being able to ditch some of my weight (maybe just 1 of 2 pockets) in an emergency is better then ditching all my weights at once on a belt. That plus I use some weight on my cam band for trim. Although I'm sure I could make due with a weight belt if my BC failed (say the weight integrated pocket ripped??). I would NOT be happy if they held weights back from me...

3... I wouldn't expect the DM/ Captain to haul my gear out of the water for me. If I can't climb on a boat with my gear in place I shouldn't be doing that dive. If they suggested that I take my gear off to make getting into the boat simpler, I would not be opposed to that, but I wouldn't expect them to haul my gear onto the boat.

It's rare I tip less then $10/tank. Reason's I've tipped more include...

As a newer diver I would occasionally ask to shoot my SMB at the end of the dive (I still do this actually). Several times the guide was enthusiastic that a diver wants to work on a skill, at the end of the dive they approach me, we move slightly away from the group, and he watches as I shoot the SMB (possibly with a cutting tool in hand, should my newbie skills get me in trouble). I shoot the SMB, we surface, and on the boat ride back to the dock the DM may either confirm my actions, or give me pointers for the next time... maybe we even work on it later in the week together... BIG points (and a tip) for that DM... he/ she went out of their way to help me, and the best way I know how to reward them is a genuine, "thank you" and a tip handed to them personally post dive.

Talking to a DM pre-dive I explain I like to stay away from the group (I don't like being up their rear end, or letting the flock of divers kick me/ swim around me). The DM replies, "It's your dive, as long as your're off the coral, and safe, enjoy your time underwater". Again, I've asked several DM's this... and that's the answer I want... EXTRA tip for them... If they give me some BS answer, and expected something different, I'd tip less if their rules negatively impacted my dive.

Just a few examples... I don't EXPECT anything but some freedom. I don't want unnecessary/ dumb rules placed on me... that and anything I ask for, if you accommodate, you get some extra from me...

Re the DM hauling gear out of the water--this would be something to be discussed before signing up for the dives. If you are physically handicapped, elderly, etc., the dive op may agree to this to get your business. It's always good to ask questions about everything you can think of, especially if doing a dive vacation that costs a lot.

I saw several people happily step off the boat with just a, "Thank You" offered to the crew...

That's nothing to do with diving. Talk to a waiter or waitress. They will tell you many stories of folks who gave little or one.

For that matter you can let somebody ride with you to the coast. Some will give you some gas money or buy lunch. Some say thank you. Some just feel entitled.

I generally pay $10/tank, that most always ends up being somewhere around a +/- 20% tip for the dive. I occasionally pay more for really exceptional service. I have left less or nothing on a few occasions when that's what they deserved.

So.......this raised my curiosity a little. Say you go to a dive resort for multiple days. Is it customary to tip after each “tank/dive”? Or at the end of the trip? Or is there not a correct answer?........

So.......this raised my curiosity a little. Say you go to a dive resort for multiple days. Is it customary to tip after each “tank/dive”? Or at the end of the trip? Or is there not a correct answer?........

Having been to a very limited number of dive specific resorts...

If I have the same DM/ Captain all week, then a single tip at the end of the week.

If I switch boats/ DM's/ Captains each day, then I tip each day, at the end of my diving.

Tipping daily is the best way to make sure that the tip goes to who deserves it. For a week vacation I will sometimes give a tip at the end, designating how it should be divided, if not even. Sometimes, I tip individuals at the end of the week and leave a general tip to be divided. I don't think there is any one best method.

Back
Top Bottom