Tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had boat crews mention they were basically unpaid interns in Cozumel and relied on tips. I mostly dive with a family run operation so I believe they are all paid in some form. I understand the diving is cheap in Cozumel with the agreement you tip. Works for me.
I would never knowingly dive with an op who does not pay their employees. By "boat crews" what do you mean? Typically on a small boat the only op people are the captain and the DM.

I would never knowingly dive with an op who does not pay their employees. By "boat crews" what do you mean? Typically on a small boat the only op people are the captain and the DM.
It was explained to me that only the captain was receiving measurable compensation. Do the math, not much money to go around at $85 for two tanks.

It was explained to me that only the captain was receiving measurable compensation. Do the math, not much money to go around at $85 for two tanks.

Times 6-8 people, sometimes two trips per day. This is Mexico where the average salary is about $1600/mo. If the crew got even $10 of that, it could easily be $100/day. Most work 6 days per week so about $2400/mo. And that's not counting tips. The captains and DMs have coveted jobs on the island and most I know are supporting families reasonably well on it.

Times 6-8 people, sometimes two trips per day. This is Mexico where the average salary is about $1600/mo. If the crew got even $10 of that, it could easily be $100/day. Most work 6 days per week so about $2400/mo. And that's not counting tips. The captains and DMs have coveted jobs on the island and most I know are supporting families reasonably well on it.
That's what I thought as well.

Cozumel diving is cheap comparatively even with $10 a tank tip.

i am not sure this is a very accurate statement when comparing other dive destinations in mexico and the carribean.

we are returning (i hope) in the fall to coz for our first trip in what will be three years.

after looking into some of the related costs, it seems the diving has gone up quite a bit since we last did any amount of boat dives. and we are finding far less package deals.

with all the taxes and fees in place now i think they are about on par with other places. gone are the days when you could get a 10 dive package for $250usd.

To the best of my knowledge the Captain and the DM typically get the same compensation, which has changed very little in recent years. The other costs (fuel, gas fills, boat costs, electricity, ect) have risen though.

Back
Top Bottom