Tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh goodie. another tipping thread. my favorite. :)

He's paying him to be a private DM, right?

I tip. Probably too much based on my experience in the hospitality industry. That being said, if you plan on diving with them more than one day or plan on coming back to dive with them, I would tip.

It's actually an interesting question because it gets into the difference between tipping an employee versus an independent contract or owner. When I order a $10 drink at a bar I know the bartender is not getting the $10 but is getting paid a low wage that probably relies on tipping to be decent so I tip. When I pay $80 for a 2-tank dive trip I know the captain and DM aren't getting the $80 so I tip.

But if you're hiring a private DM for $50 then what exactly is the arrangement? Is he getting the $50? Is there a revenue sharing deal? Is he turning it over to the shop and getting a typical DM stipend? Or worse, getting nothing at all except what you tip?

If he's pocketing the whole $50 I wouldn't see the need to tip but if he's turning most or all of it over to the shop then tipping is very much in order.

Back
Top Bottom