tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

after reading you'alls posts i'm rethinking my tipping. things have changed. what worked before no longer applies now. good service good tip.

I am always shocked and often embarassed when I see how many people give them nothing.

Don't always assume that because you don't see someone tip, they didn't. The operator that we dive with knows who we dove with each day, so we tip everything at the end of the trip -- sometimes at the office and not on the boat.

Yes, you are correct. My dive buddy does that sometimes. However, I have several good friends that are DM's and they confirm that there are LOTS of folks that tip nothing at all. (And it usually does seem like it is the people that are bragging about their second home, huge boat, blah blah blah.)

We tip 200 pesos person for a 2 tank dive if they are taking the gear, rinsing and storing it. A little less if they are not. Many times we have tipped in the end if we know we are diving with the same crew our entire trip. For the most part we dive with the same company and they know that we will be tipping at the end.

Yes, you are correct. My dive buddy does that sometimes. However, I have several good friends that are DM's and they confirm that there are LOTS of folks that tip nothing at all. (And it usually does seem like it is the people that are bragging about their second home, huge boat, blah blah blah.)
That figures....

I do like to tip every day, not at the end of the trip - so the crew knows that I am not going to stiff them, and to prevent problems with crew changes. Get better service that way. If I can, I like to tip in plain view as an example to the others...

I generally tip $10 per tank and tip after each boat trip so that the correct DM, Captain get the money and know that I appreciate their hard work and consideration

Good diving, Craig

That figures....

I do like to tip every day, not at the end of the trip - so the crew knows that I am not going to stiff them, and to prevent problems with crew changes. Get better service that way. If I can, I like to tip in plain view as an example to the others...
This is exactly what I do. It seems to work out well. I do tip in $US and am wondering if Pesos might be beter for tipping.

Now I feel all cheap. I was giving them 200 pesos a day for my wife and I, I think I gave 600 the last day, so maybe that covered the other 3 days but not really I suppose I should have been giving 400 a day. :D

This is exactly what I do. It seems to work out well. I do tip in $US and am wondering if Pesos might be beter for tipping.

There are some new regs for depositing dollars into bank accounts that may make it more difficult for them to deal with US$'s than it was in the recent past. Probably best to start asking them which currency they'd prefer.

Back
Top Bottom