Today's 136ft CESA trial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Haven't practiced my controlled emergency swimming ascent this year. Decided to do it differently and share my observations. Interested in hearing from others who still practice for it as well.

Began with a medium exhale, buoyancy set a couple lbs negative (3 hard fin strokes to start the ascent), swam up at ~45fpm from ~226ft to ~90 ft. Kept my airway open but didn't vent much for the first ~100ft as my lungs weren't full to begin with. Reg in for comfort.

The slow ascent rate over ~3 minutes was tedious especially when subconsciously the surface still looked far away. I'd practically prefer faster deep and slow for the shallow portion of the ascent.

Noticed the exhaled (nose and mouth) air began to "taste" funny towards the end, suspecting co2 buildup.

At 90ft I finished the exercise with two "big" breaths and resumed my normal pattern comfortably to continue my dive. No post freedive recovery breathing routine was needed.

Compared to breath hold diving the same distance it was mentally more comfortable and physically not as demanding. Suspect this is because with breathold diving I'm starting with much less air in my lungs initially and I need to switch directions at the "bottom" where I'm most significantly negative with compressed lungs.

In the past I've practiced the "blow and go" right to the surface from the deepest I intended to dive. I'm wanting the competency of a fair chance to return to the surface if necessary without gear as safely as possible.

This partial ascent answers this desire, but with my increased respect for DCS risks I'm glad I'm not heading directly to the surface.

With 5 air sources along with me on the ascent I mused just how badly my day would need to be to ever use a CESA from those depths. I still value the mental tranquility it gives me though.

This reads more like a dive report than my original intent, discussion welcome.

Not suggesting anyone needs do this.
Cameron

Last edited:
Very impressive. I've never done a CESA from those kind of depths. I did one years ago for real (not practice) from 70FSW and that felt like it took hours! I don't practice CESA anymore, as you point out with redundant air on every dive there is little chance a CESA will ever be preformed for real.

Interesting work. Early on I thought you could only do a CESA from shallower depths. Not figuring in the pressure change that would've allowed you those two big breaths during the ascent. I wonder how deep one could do a CESA by grabbing breaths due to decreasing pressure.
I like your idea of starting with less than full lungs. This is how I practice it from 30'. I have mentioned to students that in a real situation you are in fact OOA, so the way it is taught by taking a big breath or two before going up is not realistic. I'm sure it's laid out that way to head off student panicking.

Very impressive and interesting work Cameron. What was your bottom gas?

Very impressive and interesting work Cameron. What was your bottom gas?

This dive was on air. (~1.6 ppo2 at depth, the devil I know, not wanting the added risk of a leaner mix)

Would love to exhale the gas at 90ft into a bag (empty bcd?) to analyze later.

Particularly interested if shallow water blackout would be a realistic risk (presuming ~3 minute ascent dicated by the slower ascent rate). I've done deeper swimming ascents but with the old faster ascent rates.

Two other relevant observations I've seen in the past:

1. With a "normal" empty tank, you get a couple breaths more as you ascent. With a catastrophic blown neck oring you don't. With A stuck second stage you may not unless you kink the hose securely to trap the air or shut down the valve fast enough as you ascend.

2. Getting negative as the tank floods with water is another risk a catastrophic failure can cause. The buoyancy shift is dramatic and I haven't heard it addressed.

-another disclaimer: not advocating replicating this dive or representing it as necessary (or pruident even).

Cheers!
Cameron

Last edited:
With 5 air sources along with me on the ascent I mused just how badly my day would need to be to ever use a CESA from those depths. I still value the mental tranquility it gives me though.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

I admire your dedication to this sport.....vocation....hobby......?

I admire your dedication to this sport.....vocation....hobby......?

I like staying alive doing what I love ...call it a pass time? : )

I heartily congratulate you on your interest, dedication to the sport and for publishing your observations. Extremely interesting.

FYI
George Bond , USN made a 300 + in the early days
Dick Bonin, founder and President of SCUBA Pro did a 200 foot under ice when in USN

LA County UW instructor's association UICC program requires a 100 foot

I have made numerous ones from in excess of 100

Keep up the great work== but also be careful

Sam Miller, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom