TOURIST DIES ON REEF SNORKELLING TRIP (on the GBR off Port Douglas QLD AUS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. Saxon Reef may be closer to Port than Cairns it's true. But there are no boats from Port that visit Saxon to the best of my knowledge. I know Saxon very well as well as all the licensed operators that go there, and can assure you that the article did not report the proper facts. I know the boat involved, and also other local "news papers" that reported it insinuated that the trip was out of Port.

The trips out of Port usually visit Agincourt. Either way, I just have a bee in my bonnet about the whole issue of reporting deaths on the Reef. I don't care where the boat left from, its the manner in which these things are reported and relayed to the public. For years we complained to the news papers not to report every death on the Reef as a "diving death". They were reporting this even when the victim was snorkeling. It was totally out of control.

I will get off my soap box now and shut up :)

Richard ... I too am opposed to over-regulation of what is a recreational pursuit BUT I do not see anything wrong with operators insisting that people are screened for health issues that could impact on their own personal trip, the trip of up to 100 other guests and the crew on the vessel. As someone who has been (and will continue to be) involved in the aftermaths of diving accidents and incidents I for one would happily endorse compulsory medicals for those that fall into high risk categories.

Unfortunately the reality is that people do die while diving, exercising or simply sleeping in bed. But personally if I was asked to take a medical prior to undergoing dive training (this is not required before a recreational trip). I would do it - I love my diving but I prefer living. Note that the proposal is only for ENTRY LEVEL TRAINING. This for my thinking is probably not sufficient.

DAN in Australia require older divers to undergo a diving medical before being accepted for insurance. In the past month we have had divers who after their medicals have been sent off for bypass surgery. These are people that considered themselves fit to dive but who had underlying cardiac issues that were only picked up because someone insisted they have a medical.

If more divers took personal responisibility for their health then these medicals would not need to be complusory but the reality is that even with the proposals being accepted, after an initial check, prior to an open water course, most divers will not undergo another medical unless required.
People die every other day too!
So how about some cost benefit analysis?
This attitude is costing the Australian economy, really if someone doesn't take their own health seriously who's to blame!
Meanwhile PADI O/W is too costly, comparitively with s/e Asian countries because of the additional cost of QLD state governments dive medical requirement and an medical required annually for over 45y.o's.
The applicable medical here is upward of $120 so it adds to a tourists total holiday budget- remembering Diving is expensive here anyhow.
Irony is people are now going to places like Thailand from Australia, because the doctor's/dentist's here charge to much money for basic procedures, hello!!!! competition finally is hitting the white collar thieves. No more E-types for you Doc'
a 15min consultation with a GP IS $60 HERE..........Stop the rot.
It's suppose to be a free country, not a fee country.
Seems like they don't want anybody except the rich to see the reef and that the only people allowed to turn a buck in this joint are public servants, white collar professions and mining company share holder(83% of those being foriegners).

Last edited:
As a local of Cairns and a dive instructor here since 1990 I am so F*&^%$#g sick of stupid remarks about our industry and “accidents”.

The impulse to write massive expletives here is hard to control. Firstly people have heart attacks and drop down dead, or get sick, everywhere and at any time. With over a million visitors to the Reef a year, it’s a wonder not more are reported. Of course it didn’t make the local paper. Why should it? The poor guy had a heart attack. If he had had one in a local supermarket should we all avoid shopping in the fresh produce isle in case he got a bit too excited over a fresh bunch of carrots? Maybe a heart attack on an aeroplane means we should not fly unless we have a full blood test, medical and provide our full families medical history .

When I started working for a larger operator that catered more for the older retiree person, in the first 4 months had to perform CPR 3 times. All to persons that had had a heart attack or stroke and all died (one was 37 but totally unfit and the coroner aid he was a walking time bomb). It was pretty commonplace and although not nice, was part of life.

Grow up people! His condition had NOTHING to do with what he was doing except maybe, and I say MAYBE, he overexerted himself. Could have done that walking up some stairs. It was just his time to go.

Before you take a learn to dive course in Australia you have to have a full dive medical. Other countries just make you answer the medical statement as required by PADI or NAUI etc.

We also have 2 people doing head counts on boats, so that article is about 5 years behind the times. We have been doing this for years. Also the trip this guy died on was NOT out of Port Douglas it was out of Cairns. Dumb ill-informed hacks. Makes me sick and mad to continually see crap like this getting thrown about.

Get the facts right if you report it, and if you read it do some research and ask those of us who live and work here. Don’t believe everything you read.

I empathize totally mate, election time coming let's hope people don't stuff it up again. Labor Party!!!! get them the !@#$ out!

Back
Top Bottom