Travel Fins for a Jet Fin Lover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as I like the speed a full foot fin gives, I've seen enough stubbed toes broken toe nails n punchures from stuff left on the boat deck to realize that a boot is always a safer option.

However, if you insist on a full foot fin, the Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fins or Mares Plana Avanti Tre Full Foot Fins will do great.

SangP

You basically want it all but are not going to get it. The thing that matters least is the length of the fins as you can still take them with you one way or the other. In water performance on the other hand is just going to suck if it sucks.

The OMS slipstreams are a monoprene version of the jet fin and are a lot lighter. They feel slightly stiffer in your hand, but in the water the only noticeable differnece is that they back up a bit better than a Jet Fin, so it is all good. OMS slipstreams do that very well in doubles with a stage, etc, and in a single tank pretty fish configuration they will mkae you feel like a backicking god.

I have also used Plana Avanti fins as marketed by both Mares and other companies over the years. They do a credible job with doubles, are decent when back kicking and are lightweight, but are still Jet Fin length.

Another vote for the Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fins. They are now my fin of choice when I travel unless there is a lot of shore diving involved.

You basically want it all but are not going to get it.

I have not found the perfect travel fin yet, that is true.

The thing that matters least is the length of the fins as you can still take them with you one way or the other.

I want a fin that can be stored in my carry-on bag. The bag I have right now has an internal length of 21". I would not be able to take fins outside of this bag. I do not check any of my luggage. I like to travel lite.

I currently have some cheap Walmart US Divers Proflex fins that work okay.
72484.jpg

Just seeing if I can find something better.

Is there a significant weight difference between the OMS Slipstreams and the Hollis F1's? I am in need of some good travel fins for my wetsuit boots as well.

Jim

Is there a significant weight difference between the OMS Slipstreams and the Hollis F1's? I am in need of some good travel fins for my wetsuit boots as well.

Jim

Yes. Considerable..

Yes. Considerable..

Don't hold back...which are lighter? I have a set of Slipstreams for my drysuit, but have never seen or held the F1's, just heard a lot of good things.

Don't hold back...which are lighter? I have a set of Slipstreams for my drysuit, but have never seen or held the F1's, just heard a lot of good things.

The OMS Slipstreams are roughly half the weight of Jet Fins or Hollis F1's...

My wife and I have Mares Avanti with spring straps for our travel fins. This saves several pounds in our luggage and they trim better for tropical diving as a result of the reduced weight. They are not small fins unfortunately but at least they are noticeably lighter and we got our on closeouts for not much money at all.

I got size "regular" but could have gotten a smaller size perhaps and just used a thin fins sock instead of a thicker, soled fin boot.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom