Travel Fins for a Jet Fin Lover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a travel fin that is stiff and responsive like the Jet, but fast and lite. I do not want to have to use a boot. It needs to be 21 inches or shorter. No split fins. I want the fins to be under $100 and be good for helicopter turns, back kick, frog kick, and flutter.

I like the look of the new Aqualung Hot Shot fins, but it has too many parts (I like simplicity)...not to mention it costs around $130.

Any recommendations?

Check out the APS Mantaray fins. They are a stiff, paddle fin under 20 inches and way light. I am thinking of getting a pair specifically for travel, with luggage restrictions these days the Jets are way too heavy and bulky.

Check out the APS Mantaray fins. They are a stiff, paddle fin under 20 inches and way light. I am thinking of getting a pair specifically for travel, with luggage restrictions these days the Jets are way too heavy and bulky.
I own the APS Mantaray fins (black). I like the fact that they travel nicely (short + relatively lightweight) and have a generous foot pocket (size XL fin fits both my temperate water Pinnacle wetsuit boot and my Bare drysuit rockboot). The OP was looking for a closed-heel fin. The APS Mantaray fins are open-heel, meant to be used with wetsuit/drysuit boots.

I wouldn't describe the fins as stiff, though. I can do all the turns/kicks I want in them. The back-kick is OK. They aren't particularly "fast" or powerful. Compared to my Turtle fins, the APS Mantaray fins feel like I have a couple of stubby pieces of cardboard strapped to my feet (sorry, but that's the best way I can describe them).

Hope this info helps.

I just went through this. I ended up getting the full foot Mares Avanti Superchannels. They may be a little longer than allowed by your criteria but they are light, fit well, provide excellent control in all the kicks mentioned above, they give good feedback and are fast for whatever THAT's worth (not much to me). I got them ever so slightly large and wear 2mm neoprene socks with them. They are significantly lighter than jets w/ booties. My first trip with them comes up this fall.

So far, my experience with them consists of several hours of quarry diving and snorkeling. They don't tend to work my calves as much as Jets and they don't push a set of doubles with the same authority but they're not bad. Scubatoys has them for $59 right now. Best fin buy I've made since I got a pair of gently used XL Jets for $25.

I just went through this. I ended up getting the full foot Mares Avanti Superchannels. They may be a little longer than allowed by your criteria but they are light, fit well, provide excellent control in all the kicks mentioned above, they give good feedback and are fast for whatever THAT's worth (not much to me). I got them ever so slightly large and wear 2mm neoprene socks with them. They are significantly lighter than jets w/ booties. My first trip with them comes up this fall.

Maybe what I am looking for. I have read that they get soft and flimsy with time. I would love to have a firm feel and resilient fin.

The Mantarays are everything but stiff. But they make good travel fins.

I just went back to my good old mares quattros which you can get a bargain on 2nd or on sales. That or the oms slip streams which are about 50% lighter than the jets.

I made my own bungee straps for the mares which are even lighter than regular springs out of 3/8" bungees and some thick nylon cord that is lighter than spring straps for travel.

SangP

OMS Slipstreams.

I would want to wear them barefoot. I'll need to try that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom