Travel Souvenirs/Mementos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm curious about what souvenirs/mementos you guys like to acquire on your travels, many divers doing a fair amount of traveling. All the more so if you also do some cruises.

I want to inspire our 4-year old daughter to awareness and a sense of connectedness to a broader world where she's been, so any exotic place (even within the U.S.) we take her for more than an airport flight connection, I like to get 2 things; a souvenir thimble and a couple of magnets. The rule is, she has to go there. I prefer metal thimbles for durability, but if they're nice, may get a couple of different thimbles. I bought a thimble case on Amazon and hope to get my brother-in-law to hang it on the wall.

I like small things that aren't too expensive and have the name of the place on them. Shot glasses seemed like the wrong message to send a kid. When I travel solo I may bring home a toy for her.

Do you guys have any characteristic collectibles you bring home from your travels? Thimbles, magnets, t-shirts, shot glasses, shells, mugs, local art pieces, etc...? Is there any 'higher purpose' to it, or just personal fun?

Richard.

I had a couple of themes going for many years. Refrigerator magnets and keychains. Use keychains as zipper pulls on my carry-on and other bags at home. Magnets were more useful. Still use them today with some at work on the whiteboard and cabinets.

I appreciate crafts and handmade items and look for this when practical but weight (a favorite of mine is pottery) may be prohibitive. I also love lizards and frogs so when I can combine these two its a plus.

It use to be key chains but at so many of the tropical destinations they are rather cartoonish so not so much now. And of course t-shirts, especially from the dive op.

I like to bring back some local liquor (not the right type of souvenir for a kid...) or spices.

Alternatively, I am collecting traditional pieces of clothing, and try to bring at least a piece back from every country/region I've been to. I have a lot of fun when I am back home mixing and matching those with my everyday clothes. I'm starting to have quite an eclectic wardrobe ^^

I bring home christmas ornaments showcasing the destination and often with a sea, beach, or tropical theme. Sometimes they are made by local artisans.

When i went to South Korea on business I took some time to visit the sites around Seoul and do some shopping. I really wanted a Korean Christmas ornament but it is not a Christian country and I didn't find any. I finally settled on some small dolls in tradional Korean dress that I hang as ornaments.

Every year when I decorate the tree, I enjoy momentos of places we have visited.

I hack off a large piece of coral from my favorite dive spot of the trip and bring it home in my suitcase....:wink::popcorn:

Jim..

Having been through this once with two sons and now starting again with a grandson. They liked visual things. So large pictoral T-shirts. Maybe with large animals on them. Also videos of some sort spark their interest. If they are into fossils or rocks that can be good. Although the melon sized piece of fossilized wood in my carry on gave TSA fits. If they are into card collections sometimes post cards can be good. I helped one morning a week at a Kintergarden this spring. Tshirts with large lobster, turtles, iguanas, sharks, all sparked some conversations. Many kids are collectors at certain ages. Find out what they like be it key chains, magnets, or what ever, and get them those.

I've brought home a few handmade things (carving, weaving etc) as well as spices and for myself hot sauces (depending where).

And accidentally some Coca leaves from Peru, apparently the TSA dogs were having an off day.

I'm curious about what souvenirs/mementos you guys like to acquire on your travels,
Do you guys have any characteristic collectibles you bring home from your travels? T.

Definitely. I nearly always buy a coffee mug, usually with the name of the city, state, or country on it. I also buy a T-Shirt from any dive op that I was satisfied with (so far all have qualified). In the case of Cozumel I also buy "Cozumel" T-Shirts and when they cost as little as 8 for $20 and I like the designs it's difficult to pass them up. Puerto Vallarta has some really nice shirts with the designs stitched on them for about $5 US so naturally I picked up some of those.

Originally I thought that if I wore a "tourist" T-Shirt from the location that I was currently at I would be a target for vendors and time-share people. Recently I did it anyway and was surprised that I was practically ignored. Perhaps they assumed that I had already bought everything.

This morning I had "Cozumel" coffee. Yesterday I had "Hawai'i" coffee. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom