Tri-Mix Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, even the UTD-trained people around here tend to use "T1" and "T2" in the original, GUE senses of the term. That being roughly 150 feet and one deco bottle, no more than 30 minutes deco for T1, and the 200 foot range, two bottle dives as T2. We don't have enough people doing dives much below that to need a separate term for anything beyond T2.

A UTD Level 2 diver will use a stage bottle, back gas, and one deco gas.

But that's a convenience thing (i.e. one set of doubles to haul around rather than two). Nothing in the profile points to using the second bottle. It's exceedingly useful, yet still single-stage decompression.

That's where I call the changeover: "required" multi-stage decompression.

Working in a UTD shop, YMMV.

After T2 you can get a T2 Gold certification, which allows you to add a second deco gas, or you can go right to Trimix

Right, but the caveat is "don't use this for 2:1 dives." The Oxygen is supposed to be for cleaner deco on a profile figured for a single gas (50%), not to do UTD Trimix 1 / GUE Tech 2 dives.

I was wondering who out there does Tri-Mix that's worth going to. I got all of my certifications so far through PADI (OW/AOW/Deep/Wreck/Cavern/Nitrox) and am hoping to get TriMix done next summer.

I asked the shop I go through about the PADI Tec-Rec classes and he said they're pretty much a joke and recommended I get TriMix and full Cave through IANTD, even though he knows I have 0 desire for Cave. He says the skills I would learn in Cave are invaluable though.

So who else out there offers a good, reliable Tri-Mix classes, or should I just take the $600 IANTD Tri-Mix class they offer?

Unfortunately my first choice for mix training, "DEEP, Inc", is no longer an option.

My agencies of choice are NAUI, IANTD, NSS-CDS, NACD, TDI

Pick a class that fits best what you want to learn with people who share your interests and skills. At the end of the day, it's about having a good time, coming home safely, and doing with people who's company you enjoy.

In my experience, even the UTD-trained people around here tend to use "T1" and "T2" in the original, GUE senses of the term. That being roughly 150 feet and one deco bottle, no more than 30 minutes deco for T1, and the 200 foot range, two bottle dives as T2. We don't have enough people doing dives much below that to need a separate term for anything beyond T2.

I've given up on these terms. I use the gasses and deco time to describe the dive. We've been doing a 25/25 dive (115ft max) with 10-15mins of O2 time. But even though the deco is minimal it requires a bottom stage for sure and isn't really a "T1" level dive via either agency. And its not really a "gold star" or "plus" dive either actually.

There's a multitude of training options that would be far more beneficial to a 50 dive novice, than learning to use helium for recreational diving.
So is an intro to tech course beneficial for an average 50-dive diver? I had been planning to do just that. Would it be better to get some more experience first? I don't want to go on a course I have no chance of passing, but I would like to learn some better bouyancy skills which is hard to do on the average rec dive where your buddy wants to go see fish, not hang around doing drills.
There are some wrecks around here in the 40-50m depth range that I had wanted to dive (not penetrate) and I thought that an intro course would be the best way to work towards that. Is that an unrealistic goal for a 50-dive diver?

I think a class like GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials, or an Intro to Tech taken in a single tank, is an EXCELLENT class for someone with 50 dives. Such classes introduce an entirely different standard of diving performance, and also new skills. Learning those things make all one's diving SO much more fun!

At 50 dives, you are half-way to the dive count needed to enroll on most entry-level tech courses. Now is a fine time to start pre-building and fine-tuning your skillset in preparation for tech training.

There are a number of courses to consider:

1) GUE/UTD Fundamentals (Single tank). These can be taken with a single cylinder.. and will provide you with an excellent baseline of core skills and knowledge. Once you've had exposure to this, you can incorporate it into every dive afterwards. After the Fundies course, a further 50 dives utilising those skills and knowledge should put you into a great position to start tech training.

2) GUE/UTD Fundamentals (Double Tank). You could start diving with doubles now...get some further experience, then enrol on the Fundies course using the doubles. Same benefits as (1), but you'd also have familiarization with doubles diving and configuration.

3) Intro to Tech. Most agencies offer a pre-tech developmental course. Depending on the instructor, these may be very simular to a Fundies course. They might also include a 'taster' into complex dive planning and the various skills and drills you'd need to accomplish at tech level. It is only a 'taster' course (sort of a Tech DSD), but a well run 'Intro to Tech' course should certainly give you the knowledge needed so that you can make the best targeted progress over the following 50 dives.

4) Twinset Familiarisation. I did one of these when I first started doubles diving, shortly before I signed up for my first Tech course. It was run by Mark Powell. It was 2 dives, one day, and gave me a clear understanding of the kit, configuration and skills needed to dive independant manifold doubles. This was a great headstart before Tech Training.

In hindsight, I wish I had left more time in-between the 'Twinset Familiarsation' and the TDI Advanced Nitrox course - so that I could have perfected all attributed I learned on the TF course. The OP has just that chance.... make the most out of it!

I think that intro to anything at 50 dives is a great idea. If you think you have a path in mind, i.e. diving those wrecks at 50 meters, an intro to tech is the right choice. You will see and learn what it is going to take to get to 50 meters. It will also get your gear choices and skill sets going in the right direction to meet that goal, without wasting any more time or money on recreational gear or skills.
Most intro to tech classes are exposure to tech, not pass or fail. So sign up and go diving. Your instructor will continue to guide/mentor you to the next step in the proccess.
Eric

So is an intro to tech course beneficial for an average 50-dive diver? I had been planning to do just that. Would it be better to get some more experience first? I don't want to go on a course I have no chance of passing, but I would like to learn some better bouyancy skills which is hard to do on the average rec dive where your buddy wants to go see fish, not hang around doing drills.
There are some wrecks around here in the 40-50m depth range that I had wanted to dive (not penetrate) and I thought that an intro course would be the best way to work towards that. Is that an unrealistic goal for a 50-dive diver?

Agree that 50 dives is the best time to start thinking about Intro to tech, UTD Essentials or GUE-F type courses. Usually in a single tank for now. Then maybe 50dives later (~100 total) start thinking about adding doubles to your still recreational no-deco skillset.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom