Try Scuba Accident..what happens next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're a real gem aren't you.
What do you have against Koh Tao?
And why do you sulk around this board when you are not even a diver..
Sad life it seems.

Why is it a problem for you that he is posting this information? Perhaps there is truly a problem at Koh Tao? If the tourism industry is strong and there really is no problem then Koh Tao will be unaffected....but if there is truly an issue where people are getting injured/killed and there is malaise towards reporting it due to the possible negative impact on the tourist industry then to hell with Koh Tao, the local government, and even the tourism industry there, and especially anyone that stands in the way of the information being disseminated.

Scuba Board is a discussion forum website for exchanging information about diving...it is is not reserved specifically for divers. Also, there is no requirement to accurately list in one's profile how many dives one has under their belt...the fact the Ian Yarwood's profile states "not certified" / "Non diver" is as meaningful or meaningless as your profile statinng you have 2500-4999 dives. Perhaps you are located in Thailand or perhaps not...the reality is that across the internet only those that know you personally can account for the veracity of the information you put in your profile and posts. For all we know Ian Yarwood is a diving god with an infinite number of dives logged OR perhaps he has never set foot in a body of water other than his bathtub. The only exclusive aspect of Scuba Board is the intention for dive related information to be exchanged...and what exactly is "dive related" seems to be quite loosely defined...with that being said it seems the information Ian Yarwood has posted is quite relevant. He may be posting depressing news, or provocative information but you have the opportunity to tune him out and avoid his posts or refute the information he has posted.

Calling him a "gem" and questioning his motivation the way you have is rude and distasteful, even for an online forum.

-Z

The Samui Times and the writer itself have a bad taste in the mouth for many living in Thailand. Simply because the writer seems to have a really fond hatred of the islands he once lived and now spends his time writing article after article in hopes of ruining tourism for the island. Most already know he is not even in the country and therefore most disregard his articles.

The fact that the accident was not published is not so surprising, as how many diving accidents must happen all over the world and are not front page news?

I originally posted to gain knowledge on what happens after such accidents, not have the thread dragged into articles related to "death island" as anyways this is a scuba accident completely unrelated to any of the other accidents.

The Samui Times and the writer itself have a bad taste in the mouth for many living in Thailand. Simply because the writer seems to have a really fond hatred of the islands he once lived and now spends his time writing article after article in hopes of ruining tourism for the island. Most already know he is not even in the country and therefore most disregard his articles.

The fact that the accident was not published is not so surprising, as how many diving accidents must happen all over the world and are not front page news?

I originally posted to gain knowledge on what happens after such accidents, not have the thread dragged into articles related to "death island" as anyways this is a scuba accident completely unrelated to any of the other accidents.

You posted on a public forum where anyone could respond and you are complaining that the direction the discussion went is not the direction you wanted?

Too bad friend. That is the nature of open discussion.

The person you are against may have a vendetta against the islands and tourist industry of Thailand...so be it.

The fact that he is raising awareness to something he sees as a problem is a good thing...the fact that you state that diving accidents don't make the front page news does not refute what he has to offer it supports the very essence of him posting what he does.

If you have issue with him contributing to the thread you started then you might want to either grow a thicker skin or post to your own private forum like your facebook page where you can control/moderate the direction of the discussion yourself.

For me, I have since read some of the writtings Ian has contributed and it was quite eye opening and good information to know as I select my future diving and vacation adventures.

If you feel the information he is posting is callous, incorrect, or unbalanced then stop complaining or needling him and present the facts of your case. Right now you are just strengthening his.

-Z

For me, I have since read some of the writtings Ian has contributed and it was quite eye opening and good information to know as I select my future diving and vacation adventures.

Eye opening? All the "research" has been done online via posts from scubaboard.

Eye opening? All the "research" has been done online via posts from scubaboard.

I never mentioned that I did any "research". I read some of his posts and some articles he has written along with some material not written by him both on SB and some other sites. Based on what I have read, one might develop the idea that there are issues there where tourists are dying and little is being done by the local government to address the problem as recognition in and of itself might negatively impact tourism....they seem to have been outed by Ian and that is seemingly offensive to some.

Oh well.

Perhaps someone can post something substantial that refutes what Ian has put forth instead of just attacking him for writing in general.

-Z

Regardless of the he/she has a vendetta, the undisputed and even confirmed fact is that the instructor lost a participant in a discover type scuba experience. He is supposed to be in DIRECT CONTROL at all times on a discover. If not, he screwed up and violated standards and should be stripped of teaching status. You don't lose students if you are a conscientious instructor. You add assistants or reduce ratios so that it doesn't happen. Period.

Regardless of the he/she has a vendetta, the undisputed and even confirmed fact is that the instructor lost a participant in a discover type scuba experience. He is supposed to be in DIRECT CONTROL at all times on a discover. If not, he screwed up and violated standards and should be stripped of teaching status. You don't lose students if you are a conscientious instructor. You add assistants or reduce ratios so that it doesn't happen. Period.
I don't think the buck stops with the instructor. For any try scuba experience, allowing more than 2 divers is asking for trouble. In addition, the training for conducting such experiences leaves a lot to be desired. Sure, it is common sense that when looking away from the participants, one should have a firm grasp of both, those little safety tips need to be conveyed.

I get the impression that some instructors are overwhelmed at times conducting these experiences and are under a lot of pressure from their respective dive op.

Mind you, I've never worked in Thailand or any tropical destination, so I'm playing armchair quarterback.

I agree the shop should also be held accountable. However, they are taught to set up the business so that they are shielded and the "instructor judgment" clause is the get out of jail free card for them. Even if they somehow force the instructor through intimidation, coercion, threats, etc. to exceed safe ratios they will get out of it if they are a big enough revenue source for the agency and the instructor will end up with the tire tracks of the bus up his behind.

I never mentioned that I did any "research". I read some of his posts and some articles he has written along with some material not written by him both on SB and some other sites. Based on what I have read, one might develop the idea that there are issues there where tourists are dying and little is being done by the local government to address the problem as recognition in and of itself might negatively impact tourism....they seem to have been outed by Ian and that is seemingly offensive to some.

Oh well.

Perhaps someone can post something substantial that refutes what Ian has put forth instead of just attacking him for writing in general.

-Z

No, I'm pointing out that Ian's "research" seems to be mostly composed of posts from scubaboard. When he brings up something "new", it's because someone here has posted about it. If you are already following scubaboard, there isn't anything eye opening. The articles are an echo chamber.

I agree the shop should also be held accountable. However, they are taught to set up the business so that they are shielded and the "instructor judgment" clause is the get out of jail free card for them. Even if they somehow force the instructor through intimidation, coercion, threats, etc. to exceed safe ratios they will get out of it if they are a big enough revenue source for the agency and the instructor will end up with the tire tracks of the bus up his behind.
Which is why it is going to take a major lawsuit for this to change.

Back
Top Bottom