Underwater Towns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234:
Diving in the Quabbin reservoir is NOT permitted... In fact it is a good way to go to prison for attempted terrorism.

Seems a bit extreme. What, are they worried you'll pee in their drinking water?

"Son, we're charging you with criminal tresspass, and unlawful urination."

"But your Honor, it was really cold, and..."

"Send him to GITMO!"

Bull Shoals Lake in northern Arkansas, created when the White River was dammed, I think.

PhotoTJ:
Seems a bit extreme. What, are they worried you'll pee in their drinking water?

"Son, we're charging you with criminal tresspass, and unlawful urination."

"But your Honor, it was really cold, and..."

"Send him to GITMO!"
The easiest way to inflict mass casualties without detonating a bomb is to contaminate a community's drinking water. There are toxins that are so potent that even when they're filtered down to 2 to 3 parts per BILLION (PPB) they still cause cancer, tissue damage, or whatever the intended effect is. If you don't think that's worth protecting our reservoirs, then maybe you should do a little more research on bio-toxins and chemical and biological warefare. I for one support keeping the reservoirs safe, even if it means no diving!!!

Don't want to get way off thread, but there are much, much easier ways to contaminate a reservoir than doing it via a scuba dive.

Simply fly over the reservior and drop a cannister from an aircraft.

:eek:fftopic:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

The Kraken:
Don't want to get way off thread, but there are much, much easier ways to contaminate a reservoir than doing it via a scuba dive.

Simply fly over the reservior and drop a cannister from an aircraft.

:eek:fftopic:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

Doesn't Lake Lanier have a town underneath it. I thought the AJC did a photo spread if it in the late 90's when I lived in Dacula (pre diving days, but I thought it was cool). I could have sworn that they had old photos of buildings and then some maps to where they would be underwater.

I know thurmond lake on the SC border flooded a town or two.

I would guess the Army Corps have information on their website.

No town per se, but several small communities. I've heard of the existence of a movie theater with the marquee still in place with a movie name on it, but I've never found it.

Urban legends . . . not unlike the man-eating sized catfish that "divers have seen".

Lots of little hamlets were submerged by various TVA projects - check with them or with local dive clubs in the area for some locations.

As to those legendary man-eating catfish, would something like this qualify? :11:

The Kraken:
No town per se, but several small communities. I've heard of the existence of a movie theater with the marquee still in place with a movie name on it, but I've never found it.

Urban legends . . . not unlike the man-eating sized catfish that "divers have seen".
You're exactly right, but I don't want to risk some scuba-trained terrorists putting anything at the entrance to the pipes where the water is collected from the reservoir. I believe another scuba diving website had the "Top Ten Signs There is a Terrorist in your OW Class" or something like that. One of them went something like this, "When I get the bomb to the target...er, I mean, when I reach my NDL..."

As far as submerged towns, maybe a trip to China after the Three Gorges Dam is completed is in order. Over one million people are expected to be transplanted, and several temples will be submerged. I'm not sure if China will authorize scuba diving in their created lake, though.

Back
Top Bottom