Underwater Towns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhere in the dim, dank recesses of my brain I seem to have a memory that there are/were Native American settlements at the bottom of Lake Powell on the AZ/UT border. Powell's low enough now that you could probably wade out to them...

David

Hey, Reef, I'll bet you a pound of pig $h!t to a pound of boubloons that they sure as heck didn't catch that little feller on a cane pole . . .

Firebrand:
The easiest way to inflict mass casualties without detonating a bomb is to contaminate a community's drinking water. There are toxins that are so potent that even when they're filtered down to 2 to 3 parts per BILLION (PPB) they still cause cancer, tissue damage, or whatever the intended effect is. If you don't think that's worth protecting our reservoirs, then maybe you should do a little more research on bio-toxins and chemical and biological warefare. I for one support keeping the reservoirs safe, even if it means no diving!!!

I've read about it, it will take a pretty good size tanker full of most of the stuff to ruin a lake supplying drinking water. At least that's what the EMA folks tell us.

Ya noodle that sucker up and you draw back a nub !!!!

DanStanton:
Hi All,
Anyone aware of any resources for locating towns that have been abandoned and flooded by man made lakes?
Any leads to DanStantonHFWV@aol.com would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

A friend of mine who is working in the China as a dive instructor right now just dove at The Gorge. She visited a site that was an old temple. Max depth was about 90 feet and abosolutely stunning. I am getting more details on it so I can go. But there are significant logostic issues such as getting the right contact in Beijin, hiring the boat and captain, she was only able to get fills up to 1,400 PSI and it was dirty air.

A brief qoute from a news agency "From start to finish, the project will cost up to $29 billion. More than one million people will be relocated.

When the towering 1.2-mile wide wall is complete, in 2009, it will be used for the metamorphosis of one of China's most scenic and most pristine landscapes.

The result will be a 370-mile-long lake that will consume 19 counties, 153 towns, 4,500 villages, and the scenic canyons that have inspired poets and painters for centuries."

Almost 5,000 dive sites, many of which are of historical value. Cool or what!?! I think this beats out any of the other flooded dives menntioned.

Henry

Henry:
A friend of mine who is working in the China as a dive instructor right now just dove at The Gorge. She visited a site that was an old temple. Max depth was about 90 feet and abosolutely stunning. I am getting more details on it so I can go. But there are significant logostic issues such as getting the right contact in Beijin, hiring the boat and captain, she was only able to get fills up to 1,400 PSI and it was dirty air.

A brief qoute from a news agency "From start to finish, the project will cost up to $29 billion. More than one million people will be relocated.

When the towering 1.2-mile wide wall is complete, in 2009, it will be used for the metamorphosis of one of China's most scenic and most pristine landscapes.

The result will be a 370-mile-long lake that will consume 19 counties, 153 towns, 4,500 villages, and the scenic canyons that have inspired poets and painters for centuries."

Almost 5,000 dive sites, many of which are of historical value. Cool or what!?! I think this beats out any of the other flooded dives menntioned.

Henry

Oh what a dream. Imagine living next door to that! I could justify diving every day instead of every second day.

Mactequac Lake New Brunswick. Upper Mill Ville Many homes flooded with construction of the Dam. In the Head pond you can find the remains of a forest, and further up river, you can find the remains of houses, foundations, and more. Diving and Finding it all is hit or miss.

I have heard the “old-timers” say that there are buildings under the reservoir at the Conowingo Dam in Maryland. I have yet to meet any local divers that have tried to find the site, but most have “heard of this guy who dove in the old town…”

I Googled it and found:

"1928 - Conowingo Dam began commercial operation. By harnessing the power of the Susquehanna River they produced electricity. As the last of the big gates closed to collect the water behind the dam, spectators watched as the water formed a 9000 acre lake, spreading across land and over rooftops of a village of 30 – 40 buildings called Conowingo. The village remained submerged forever."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom