Underwater Towns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I vaguely recalled Cromwell, South Island New Zealand was going to be flooded after they built a dam near there. I visited the town about 20 odd years ago before it supposed to go under.

scubanick:
lake murray south carolina

built a dam to power (SCE&G south carolina electric and gas)
bought out like lots and lots of land
still railroad down there
cemetary and such, and a b-25 bomber
there was 3 more i beleive the rest were removed long ago

I have a friend that lives on the lake there. I know for sure that there was a cemetary that was flooded and that there are still several grave stones left behind because families would not come move them. They recently drained the lake and it is just about full again. Not sure if there are any charters out there to dive those things but I wouldn't mind checking them out. I am sure the cemetary would be a very "unique" dive.

Breath Easy!

yea they drained the lake while building a new back up dam
its now up to 3 foot below full
me and my brother and 2 more fellow divers went like 3 weeks ago
and dove off the little "beach" area near the dam
ive dove around the lake about 4 different times
neat but aint much to see unless u find those certain spots (cemetary and railroad and such)

Greers Ferry lake in Arkansas. Used to be Little Red River until the mid 60's when the dam was built. 3 towns that I know of for sure under that lake, but I think there are 2 others for a total of five.

If you are in the midwest, you could always check out Table Rock Lake.

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/TableRockLakeMO.html

From Website:
When the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers flooded the valley upstream from Table Rock Dam, they submerged the small town of Oasis, Missouri. Like a modern, midwestern Atlantis, the town still sits under about 100 feet (30 m) of water. Advanced divers can float down Main Street to the town's small wooden church, which, although deteriorating after nearly 40 years underwater, offers wreck diving of a different order.

if you are ever in las vegas there was a town called overton that was flooded out some years ago when lake mead behind the hoover dam filled, though with the recent water shortages i dont know whether it is a scuba destination or a hiking locale

Lake Burton in north Georgia has the little town of Burton under it's waters along with several roads and a bridge that peeks out when they drop the water level. We tried to find some of the structures but only came across a few piles of bricks. That is some cold water!

Lake Jocassee in South Carolina has several structures in it. A local dive shop there routinely takes people out to dive an old powerhouse that is submerged.

WD

(Really a reservoir, obviously) in New Milford, CT holds at least one small community (Jerusalem) and any number of sites with structure. An iron bridge across a former river is a popular site. A buddy and I dropped right into a barn foundation last fall at another site, there were harnesses, wagon springs, a jar full of shoing nails sitting on a foundation wall, it was cool but shallow and low vis.

Lion City in Eastern China.

An old-style city with a round city wall that was flooded in the 50's. The date of the flooding preserved some relics that were otherwise destroyed in above ground cities during the cultural revolution. Around 95% of the city remains unexplored - apparently there’s a church in there somewhere as well. The exploration aspect of it is what makes it such a great dive.

Talk to steven@sinoscuba.com for more details. The diving is cold and can be very low vis: so its not for everyone. I'm hoping to do two more trips there this year.

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom