Underwater Towns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to follow-up with information on diving some of the underwater towns in the TN, KY area. I once found an interesting note from Offroaddiver. Can anyone point me in a direction to locates maps and access material to plan a dive trip, plese?

Just interested in something a little different.

DanStanton:
Hi All,
Anyone aware of any resources for locating towns that have been abandoned and flooded by man made lakes?
Any leads to DanStantonHFWV@aol.com would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

You might take a look at Lake Jocassee, SC (of Deliverance fame). Jocassee really wasn't a town, per se, but it has some interesting relics of the past lurking in the deep: Camp Jocassee for Girls, a steel bridge, cemetery, Attakulla Lodge. Divers are just beginning exploration of Attakulla Lodge and hope to locate other items of interest, as well. It's 300-320 feet deep in these areas, but I hope to put some great video on my website soon. I'm just learning to dive, but I have friends who are tri-mix. Debbie

DanStanton:
Hi All,
Anyone aware of any resources for locating towns that have been abandoned and flooded by man made lakes?
Any leads to DanStantonHFWV@aol.com would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
I do know of a few in Table Rock Lake. You can swim down main street in to the church. The white snake river was flooded 60 years ago, but it is cold dark water and a little flow. The town is at about 100 ft.

The Kraken:
No town per se, but several small communities. I've heard of the existence of a movie theater with the marquee still in place with a movie name on it, but I've never found it.

Urban legends . . . not unlike the man-eating sized catfish that "divers have seen".

LOL.... ok, Yes they grow em big in some areas. Had a couple pals that were on the state police search and rescue dive team. Apparently some lakes here in NM grow some purty biguns. Some of the guys say they won't dive in certain lakes if they can help it as the fish are bigger than they are. :sofa:

cygnus4815:
Somewhere in the dim, dank recesses of my brain I seem to have a memory that there are/were Native American settlements at the bottom of Lake Powell on the AZ/UT border. Powell's low enough now that you could probably wade out to them...

David

Yes I also have heard that out here in the SW. There are supposed to be cliff dwellings there also you can dive to. Most are un-mapped as Lake Powell flooded alot of canyons. :wink:

I`m told that The Great Sacandaga Reservoir, in Upstate NY, has several small towns in it. According to the history of the dam there is also a steel and concrete bridge that is around 70 ft. I`ve also been told there are several covered bridges and a train engine. I`m trying to obtain info but haven`t found anyone who has dove there.

rexy1979:
like in my other post, there is one in eastern ontario near Calabogie, here is a site with a little more info.

http://www.magma.ca/~rgwood/sites.html
That's not the lake right outside the Clabogie Lodge is it? I went OVER that lake on a snowmobile the week before Christmas in '95!

In regards to the Conowingo Dam, does anyone know if it is legal to dive there? I only live about 30 min away and would love to check it out, but have no idea if civillians are allowed to (not sure, but I believe the military dives there occasionally).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom