Universal BP/W for cold water and travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfa

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

Me (120kg male) and my wife (60kg female) live in Seattle and dive here, using mostly rental gear (own only regs and computers). However, we're planning a liveaboard trip to Bahamas in a month, and decided to finally get our own gear.

As such, I'm looking for an advice on a BP/W for each of us that is:
  • single cylinder only
  • easy to travel with
  • can be used in warm water
  • can be used in cold water in PNW with drysuit/farmer john (not sure if it's possible, lift seems to be too different - maybe 2 sets of wings?)
  • clutter-free
Also, would be grateful for the advice on best places to buy this.

I do a bunch of diving in California and while vacationing.

I use an aluminum backplate with a Hollis 38lbs wing.

When in California, I use a 6-7 lbs lead p weight I cast attached to the plate and the Hollis comfort harness with 10 lbs drop pockets attached and an sta. (The p weight blocks the strap pass through on the plate)

When traveling, I use a one piece harness made from webbing on the softer side. All my weight goes into pockets on the cam bands. When disassembled, this packs up really nicely.

I did about 15 dives in the Bahamas a month ago and didn't ever feel like larger wing got in the way. Sure, it could be more streamlined and in a side by side comparisons, I may have noticed a difference, but I certainly didn't come back going "wow, I need a smaller wing". I may eventually get one anyway, but mainly to save room when packing.

the hog 32lbs wing with bungee is very streamlined, does not need a STA, and will work for drysuit diving or warm water vacation diving. The SS plate is probably your best bet even though it weighs a few lbs more in luggage.

Reactions: Zef
I do a bunch of diving in California and while vacationing.

I use an aluminum backplate with a Hollis 38lbs wing.

When in California, I use a 6-7 lbs lead p weight I cast attached to the plate and the Hollis comfort harness with 10 lbs drop pockets attached and an sta. (The p weight blocks the strap pass through on the plate)

When traveling, I use a one piece harness made from webbing on the softer side. All my weight goes into pockets on the cam bands. When disassembled, this packs up really nicely.

I did about 15 dives in the Bahamas a month ago and didn't ever feel like larger wing got in the way. Sure, it could be more streamlined and in a side by side comparisons, I may have noticed a difference, but I certainly didn't come back going "wow, I need a smaller wing". I may eventually get one anyway, but mainly to save room when packing.

Very similar to what I do but I also have a SS plate for cold water. An extra plate is a lot less expensive than an extra wing and really isn't necessary if you add some weight to the Al one. The extra drag from a larger wing is barely noticeable if you are used to diving in cold water and who wants to rush around anyway.

Dive Right In Scuba has a package for a bp/w system with a wing that can change bladders depending on where you're diving
Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package
Thanks, this seems like a really interesting universal option! And lift is pretty close to whatever lift calc tells me (though seems like alu backplate would work better here, at least for 23lbs lift).

What about my wife? 38 seems a bit too high for her, doesn't it?

When you switch from Drysuit to warm water wetsuit you will need to swap out the wing and readjust the webbing on the harness. That can be a pain. I ended up with separate rigs. Heck, I have separate reg sets to keep from swapping back and forth from din to yoke and swapping hoses. I just don't eat out anymore. Scuba needs my money more than my belly does. I'm sorry for not answering your direct question but others have and I'm sharing the conclusion that I eventually reached when confronted with the same question.

When you switch from Drysuit to warm water wetsuit you will need to swap out the wing and readjust the webbing on the harness. That can be a pain. I ended up with separate rigs. Heck, I have separate reg sets to keep from swapping back and forth from din to yoke and swapping hoses. I just don't eat out anymore. Scuba needs my money more than my belly does. I'm sorry for not answering your direct question but others have and I'm sharing the conclusion that I eventually reached when confronted with the same question.

If you mark the webbing where it needs to be for warm and cold waters it is no big issue to readjust although for some of us having extra gear is not an issue but if you venture down that road make sure you have plenty of storage space as it can multiply like rabbits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom