Universal BP/W for cold water and travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for answers, really appreciate your help.

Halcyon Infinity is a bit out of my budget unfortunately.
I'd like to get a few more comments on Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package please, as it seems like a really good deal for a novice in BP/Ws:
  1. is there anything inherently bad with this design I should be aware of?
  2. if I get it with alu plate (to save weight in luggage), when I get back to Seattle - would I be able to add weight pockets on cambands, or would I need separate SS backplate?
  3. this set comes with STA. Do I really need it for warm water diving, or could I leave it home and mount tank directly to backplate?
  4. is there any difference between Hog and Diverite/Hollis backplates to warrant price difference (not much, but still)?
  5. would this setup also work for my wife, or does she need drastically different lift/harness/whatever else?

I’m not positive, but I believe @boulderjohn was one of the test divers for the Mirarge wing.
Yes, I was a test diver for the Mirage, and when it eventually went on the market, I purchased it.

I took it to Palau this spring, where I wanted to save as much luggage weight as possible. I took an aluminum BP for that reason. I also took the smaller version of the wing. I have weight pockets on the cam bands, one on the left side and one on the right for balance. (I reverse the cam bands so that I can do this without interfering with the velcro closing.) I needed a few pounds in each while wearing a 3mm suit and using AL 80 tanks. I loved the small size--it was like having nothing there.

Returning to the United States, I dived almost exclusively with doubles, so I put it away for most of the rest of the year. I am now in Florida, and I have been doing mostly single tank diving. I am now using a 5mm suit and a hood. I have a steel BP on it, and I am using my steel LP 85s (Worthington). I need no weight. I might possibly get by with the aluminum plate, possibly with a few weights in the cam bands. For the first few dives, I used the smaller wing size, but when I had to spend a long time on the surface waiting to be picked up, I decided to switch to the larger wing size so that my head was farther out of the water.

I always use an STA. If you are switching BP's and wings, it makes it so much easier. That is especially true if you have weight pockets on the cam bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom