Unvarnished truth can hurt but it’s still the truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone new to it takes a look at Undercurrent, be aware there are 2 kinds of reviews; those published in the main newsletter (tend to be more 'professional'), and those contributed by members (more analogous to trip reports here). Since Undercurrent uses a standardized review template, you get a consistent look and content on user-contributed reports. On the other hand, most user reviews don't have a bunch of photos worked into the narrative. When I post reviews on Undercurrent, they're more concise reports condensed from what I post on Scuba Board.

And take it all with a grain of salt. The article 'No Side-Mount Tanks on Aggressors?' describes a misunderstanding-based incident where a guy was quite annoyed he (& wife) weren't allowed to use his side-mount rig. Captain thought the company didn't allow it. End of trip, back with Internet access, the guy was able to show that single-tank side-mount was okay. Captain didn't charge for nitrox as a result. Yes, annoying, but it got fixed and shouldn't be an issue going forward (I was on that trip, the 'other Richard'). I, too, prefer diving my own gear and I'm not unsympathetic, and if you want to dive side-mount maybe checking in advance to avoid misunderstandings is worthwhile, but the title looked a bit stigmatizing.

Similarly, read a few user reports on a destination. Both of us 'Richards' contributed reports for that trip, and gave different impressions (e.g.: I, and I think the majority of the passengers, enjoyed the Engineer's sense of humor, and while viz. varied, it was often quite good).

I like the Scuba Board system where people ask follow up questions and a lot of detail is added, and trip reports often have photos to illustrate points and break up the text. I can tell you what I thought the reef or viz. looked like; adding photos let's you judge for yourself.

Richard.

If anyone new to it takes a look at Undercurrent, be aware there are 2 kinds of reviews; those published in the main newsletter (tend to be more 'professional'), and those contributed by members (more analogous to trip reports here). Since Undercurrent uses a standardized review template, you get a consistent look and content on user-contributed reports. On the other hand, most user reviews don't have a bunch of photos worked into the narrative. When I post reviews on Undercurrent, they're more concise reports condensed from what I post on Scuba Board.

And take it all with a grain of salt. The article 'No Side-Mount Tanks on Aggressors?' describes a misunderstanding-based incident where a guy was quite annoyed he (& wife) weren't allowed to use his side-mount rig. Captain thought the company didn't allow it. End of trip, back with Internet access, the guy was able to show that single-tank side-mount was okay. Captain didn't charge for nitrox as a result. Yes, annoying, but it got fixed and shouldn't be an issue going forward (I was on that trip, the 'other Richard'). I, too, prefer diving my own gear and I'm not unsympathetic, and if you want to dive side-mount maybe checking in advance to avoid misunderstandings is worthwhile, but the title looked a bit stigmatizing.

Similarly, read a few user reports on a destination. Both of us 'Richards' contributed reports for that trip, and gave different impressions (e.g.: I, and I think the majority of the passengers, enjoyed the Engineer's sense of humor, and while viz. varied, it was often quite good).

I like the Scuba Board system where people ask follow up questions and a lot of detail is added, and trip reports often have photos to illustrate points and break up the text. I can tell you what I thought the reef or viz. looked like; adding photos let's you judge for yourself.

Richard.

Thanks Richard! I spend a lot more time on SB, but I like both SB and UW,the more resources and information I can find (and take with a grain of salt!) the more informed I can become before making up my own mind.

Richard.

There’s no doubt in my mind that @drrich2 writes some of the best trip reports EVER, coupled with amazing pictures.

Personally, I read Scubaboard and Undercurrent for reviews. I think both have their place for reviews that I can trust. One downside to Scubaboard is I cannot search a location and have all the reviews listed out for me. I’d have to search the specific hotel or dive op or liveaboard name, and hope it will come up in my search. For example, @drrich2 ’s wonderful report on the now BAIV would not have come up in my search if I didn’t know it was titled “Diving Belize via Sun Dancer...”

Another thing I’ve done is if I’m interested in a specific location but don’t know exactly which dive op or liveaboard is “good”, I browse the location in Undercurrent. Much easier to get a whole bunch of reviews for that one location.

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom