Unvarnished truth can hurt but it’s still the truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but none for ScubaBoard because anyone can say anything.
Anything? No, not really. People report posts all the time that get moderated. We have ways to combat cyberhostage situations too and we are active in keeping things fair. Here, the offended parties can come and make things right and actually win over new customers. FWIW, dogpiling is against the ToS. If they don't understand us, they might hate us, but there are plenty of dive-ops, including you, that have benefitted from our atmosphere of telling the world like it is.

Here, Joe Diver has a voice. We don't rely on just a few, but on a quarter million users telling us what they like and what they don't like. We get to see things from all perspectives: from the experienced to the noob and yes, even the dive op.

Anything? No, not really. People report posts all the time that get moderated. We have ways to combat cyberhostage situations too and we are active in keeping things fair. Here, the offended parties can come and make things right and actually win over new customers. FWIW, dogpiling is against the ToS. If they don't understand us, they might hate us, but there are plenty of dive-ops, including you, that have benefitted from our atmosphere of telling the world like it is.

Here, Joe Diver has a voice. We don't rely on just a few, but on a quarter million users telling us what they like and what they don't like. We get to see things from all perspectives: from the experienced to the noob and yes, even the dive op.
You know that I support us. You also know why dive operators hate us.

There's more "unvarnished truth" here on ScubaBoard than anywhere else. Hell, I've been sued because of it. Dive ops need to learn how to handle negative publicity on Social Media by admitting the problem, offering solutions and apologizing. I can't tell how many times people ask us to remove threads and posts. If we get a hint of impropriety, we might, but usually they just want to censor the internet. Unlike Undercurrent, our site is searchable by Google. Combine that with our SEO and you have a potent way of getting the whole truth out there.

One of the real advantages of SB over UnderCurrent is having the ability to also search for content from the reviewer. Some people are never satisfied, while others have unreasonable expectations. I remember one guy here railed about his trip to Bonaire being terrible because he couldn't find "US brand food" in the grocery store there. Other reviews from the same dude made it clear that he was just a whiny POS (Person of Sadness) so I pretty much avoid any of his trip reports now.

I've been a subscriber to Undercurrent for even longer than the 14 years I've been a member of ScubaBoard. I find the monthly publication very interesting and even made the final decision on a trip based on a lead article, Turquoise Bay, Roatan. For me, the most valuable feature of UC is being able to go back to the archives and read all of the reviews for a location I'm thinking about visiting. Heck, they have 829 reviews for the Cayman Islands. For SB, easily the most valuable feature for me is being able to ask a specific question and then immediately get informed responses. I recently had a potential opportunity to visit Grenada, a location I knew nothing about. I asked about Grenada on SB and quickly had a load of useful information, even an offer for a letter of referral to one of the dive ops :), thanks Frank. Wanted: Information on Grenada I have asked questions on SB and received valuable responses more times than I could count. I've made friends too, some I've been able to dive with. Thanks SB

You also know why dive operators hate us.
They erroneously believe that they can't control the content here, when they actually CAN. There are several ways accomplish this, and many of those are quite ethical. Here are some of those ethical ways:
  • Provide Superior Service
    • Users like to post the great along with the not-so-great.
  • Own up to your Mistakes
    • Admit it
    • Rectify it
    • Tell us how you're going to prevent it happening again!
  • Don't be a stranger
    • Being a part of the Tribe has bennies (Just ask @Wookie)
  • Tell us when good things happen
    • New equipment
    • New Hire
    • New Itinerary
    • Cool Critter POST PICS!!!
  • Stack the deck in your favor
    • Encourage your clients (fans) to post their positive reviews here
    • We have better SEO than FB
      • It's GTS, not FTS (Google That Sh*t)
    • We have better SEO than your website
    • Fans will defend you to the death if someone tries to mess with you!

There are also unethical ways, such as suing us, using sockpuppets for positive reviews about you, using sock puppets for bad reviews about competitors, spreading rumors and the like. Try any of these and you can be sure that the SB users will find out and then neither @Wookie or I can do much to help you. This is gospel truth.

You know that I support us.
You are the poster child for abusing, er using the system. My hat is off to you for that.

You are the poster child for abusing, er using the system. My hat is off to you for that.
I prefer to think of it as "bending the system to my will". But I never did use a sock puppet or ask someone in a PM to speak up for me. I was never less than brutally honest, and willing to apologize and change the way I did things when shown a better way. I think they called it "frank"....

I prefer to think of it as "bending the system to my will". But I never did use a sock puppet or ask someone in a PM to speak up for me. I was never less than brutally honest, and willing to apologize and change the way I did things when shown a better way. I think they called it "frank"....
You being frank is what endears you to most and pisses a few wannabes off. Honesty is the only option for you and we like that. However, you being Frank is what makes you fun to be around. Never stop being frank or Frank.

I reserve my special one and two star ratings for Orlando and all things Disney-world. We took the kids there a little over a year ago and one thing I can say for sure, that for me personally, it is not the happiest place on Earth. In fact, I am pretty well certain it is not even the happiest place in that county.
my Kids loved Disney on rainy days, when there are no lines. On sunny days, Disney is an oven with too many butterball turkeys stuffed into it.

Some people love Disney. I grew up in O-ville, had my first dive in Lake Underhill and remember it when it was mostly swampland to fish and explore. I saw the Mouse come in and screw things up. I don't live there anymore for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom