Upgrading equipment to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u5agi

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've taken the leap and will be doing my DIR-F in 2 months after going to a demo session 2 weeks ago. The set-up made a lot of sense and the overall philosophy sounds well thought out.

Upgrading the gear will be a pretty expensive process and I would like some suggestions on the order of purchases. I just bought a Halcyon Pioneer and 6lb SS bp. My current reg setup is the Oceanic Delta 3 and Alpha 7 octo on a DX4 first stage. That's a pretty robust setup and can be dismantled underwater so I can probably use that for a while, yes?

Eventually I plan on stepping up to an Apeks DS4 with ATX200 and ATX40/50 or a Scubapro Mk25 with GP250 and R190. Then there's the canister light as well.

Which do you think is a higher priority? The light or the regs?

You should ask your instructor about the regs, but I suspect that for DIRf, your current ones will probably be fine. The main thing will be getting the correct length hoses and putting a bungie on your backup reg (it won't be an "octo" after the class :wink:) There was no reg disassembly doone in my DIRf class - this class is primarily for going over the fundamental skills that will help you be a safer, more efficient diver and more reliable buddy, not to mention having more fun!

You don't mention what you currently use for guages.

Though not absolutely required for DIRf, the cannister light is a great asset not only for peeking into and under cracks and crevices, but for communication as well. If your instructor OKs the regs, I would go for the can light next. Do a search on this board for many opinions on choices. Backup lights are also not absolutely required for DIRf.

Oh - and actually drinking Kool-Aid is also not required. This is a good thing since I never liked the stuff anyway :D

Get the right hoses first. That will get you half way there. Also SP jet fins will make many kicks easier/possible. that along w/ wrist mounted inst will make you a happy camper. Save the light for last.

Snowbear:
Oh - and actually drinking Kool-Aid is also not required. This is a good thing since I never liked the stuff anyway :D

Thats a relief , I can't seem to find it here in UK, was giving up hope of ever being DIR :wink:

Now purchase a copy of the robust Fundamentals of Better Diving and study it for a more robust understanding of the robust nature of DIR and the robust gear configuration that will make you a robust diver.... holistically speaking.

BTW... canister HID lights? For passive communication and active signaling they can't be beat... I wouldn't part with mine... however:

Pet Peeve Rant to Follow

Don't be shining the HID beam into critter's eyes unless you shine it into your own eyes first and hold it there for 10 seconds. If you like it then by all means feel free to blind the fish too.

TIP: I have a small Q40 ziptied to the goodman handle of my HID that I use to look at critters. I hold my HID with hand cupped over the HID and use the other hand to shield the critters from my buddy's HID.

Thanks for the good advice, guys. I've been diving with the jetfins/spring straps so that's been squared away. Guess the next step is to change the hoses on my regs, bungee the secondary, and get myself an SK7 wrist mount.

Uncle Pug - good advice on the QD40. Could you post a pic to show us how you have it set up?

The book's on its way too but in the meantime, why may the Delta3 not be DIR? It's pretty simple and robust. No frills and strips down easily. Possible OPV on the first stage?

No worries about the kool-aid. I'm going into this with an open mind but don't intend to be slavish about following the precepts.

u5agi:
Uncle Pug - good advice on the QD40. Could you post a pic to show us how you have it set up?

The book's on its way too but in the meantime, why may the Delta3 not be DIR? It's pretty simple and robust. No frills and strips down easily. Possible OPV on the first stage?
Here is the photo you requested.

Don't worry about the reg.... when you read the book you will understand about the robust usage of robust in my previous robust post and remember that I was able to use robust five times in one robust sentence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom