Using your octo as your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I have a question about diving that I cant seem to find an answer to by just browsing online. That is: If buying an Octo is cheaper than buying a normal/primary regulator, then why cant you use the octo as your primary if this would enable you to buy a better reg? Could you buy two octos and use one as back up and the other as primary?

Thanks for the help!

You can, but regulators sold as octos are often lower end models and do not have the same breathing performance. A higher end Octo, might have the same performance of a lower end primary, so you are not gaining much.

There is no law or rule, but a lot of people would not enjoy using an Octo for every dive.

You might not be comparing apples to apples.
An octo is generally sold as a lone second stage (with reg hose).
A "primary reg" is typically sold as a package consisting of a first stage + a second stage (with reg hose).

There's nothing stopping you from purchasing 2 octos + 1 first stage. Price everything out prior to making any purchases.
Keep in mind that some octos aren't "high performance" second stages, but they should still deliver gas safely.
The Apeks octos, Aqualung Legend octo, Zeagle octos, and Atomic Aquatics octos are all "high performance" second stages. Essentially, their "guts" are the same as the "primary" second stages; the only difference is that they have yellow "octo" coloring on the front cover.

Hope this helps...

I know someone who bought Aeris A1 reg and octo (same 2nd stange except octo is yellow) because he was on a super tight budget but dove a lot so he wanted to stop renting. It was a very inexpensive set. He called them "workhorse regs". While my husband I bought more expensive regs as our primaries, we got A1 octos so obviously we trust them to work when we need them.

Just checked http://www.scubatoys.com and the reg (1st + 2nd stage) was $179 and the octo was $79... pretty good deal. Just remember you're going to have to get them serviced so their will be a regular maintenance cost for them :)

I have the same Reg's Both Atomic M1's as Primary and Octo, You can use any 2 reg's. If you want a less expensive reg and want the same thing go with HOG. These are great high performace reg's at a fraction of what the Big makers cost. Look them up lots of reviews on here.

That is: If buying an Octo is cheaper than buying a normal/primary regulator, then why cant you use the octo as your primary if this would enable you to buy a better reg?

If you're sharing air, your octo will be your primary. I would suggest getting a good reg for both your primary and your octo.

The only reason it's cheaper is because there is a demand for cheap octos, so there's an incentive to cut any corners possible. It probably won't kill you, but when Something Bad just happened, and you or the guy you're sharing air with is breathing like a hoover, the last thing you want is a poorly performing reg.

flots.

Hey, That really helped a lot! Thank you!

One thing which I was also wondering about is buying a regulator and where to buy it. I know that supporting your local dive stores is important, but from what I have seen they are a lot more expensive than online stores and I dont have that much extra to spend...Leisure Pro is an example. I know there are some shady "gray market" rumors about them and I have contacted them regarding what companies they are authorized to sell and which they are not. Have any of you guys bought from them? What is your experience? I was looking at the Mares Package #1 with one or two upgrades. What about Mares, from what I have been reading, they seem like a very good company for both regs, octos, BCD's and fins, any previous expirience is greatly appreciated:)

Any other company's/models that you have good experience with is very helpful as long they are on the 'cheaper' side for I simply cant afford a super expensive piece of equipment

FYI: The equipment I am considering is the Mares Prestige BCD, Mares Ranger/rover. But I am open to new brands, any advice helps!

Thanks so much!!

To reiterate what others have said, an octo is simply a 2nd stage. It could be expensive (Atomic Aquatics octos are just as expensive as the "regular" second stage), or it could be cheaper.

A cheaper octo may not breath as easily, but it will breath just fine. Companies don't make regulators that will kill divers.

As far as purchasing from Leisurepro, I've bought a few items from them and it was no fuss/no muss. Easy to deal with. However, I prefer to buy big dollar items from the local shops. Yes, the asking price is more than on-line...that is if you're willing to pay their asking price. I always negotiate.

@Mndiv: Please let us know what your budget is ($800? for reg+BCD+fins), the kinds of conditions you'll be diving in (warm/cold water, travel/local, etc.), and what your gear preferences are (based on your experiences with rental gear, e.g., rear-inflate BCD vs. jacket BCD vs. BP/W).

Mares is a good brand. I've heard good things about their regs and fins.
Be careful about buying scuba "packages." Such gear bundles have a tendency to include gear with features you don't need/want. Sometimes the packages don't save much money at all when compared to purchasing the gear a la carte.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom