Using your octo as your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Yes, Actually, I am not certified YET, I am going to get the Open Water certification, these were just some questions that came to mind when I was researching equipment, brands, etc. an this seems to be the best place to get answers to questions!:) I will of course dive with rental for the few first dives to get a personnel preference on the equipment I prefer, but then I would like to begin purchasing my own gear. (I am 15)

My budget is $1,200 but thats tops, I would (of course) prefer if I stayed a little ways under, while not sacrificing equipment quality.
The diving I will be doing is local (Minnesota) in lakes and quarries, so I will most likely need a 7mm wetsuit.
As of right now I have no actual experience with equipment usage but I have done significant research:) and for newbies the jacket style BCD seems most practical, and if I am correct that is also what most dive schools practice with in Open Water Certification.

If you have any advice I am completely open to your much greater experience with equipment! I am looking at the Mares Prestige BCD, Pinnacle Cruiser 7 7mm wetsuit, but like I said I will gladly take any advice:) Thanks again!!

When buying regs, remember that you will have to get them serviced on a regular basis. I don't have much experience in dealing with many different dive shops, but I've heard about some divers having issues with some shops giving them a hard time about servicing equipment that wasn't purchased from them. As a minimum, I would make sure your LDS does service the brand that you plan on purchasing.

Before buying online you should check with your LDS and see what kind of deal they are willing to do with you. I purchased my BC & regs from the shop where I got my OW certification, even though they are located over 200 miles away and I have several LDS's nearby. This particular shop has been really good to deal with and I like the people there. Anyway, when I was ready to buy I gave them a call, told them what I wanted, and asked what they could do for me as far as a package. They gave me a great deal that ended up actually cheaper than what I could have gotten online, with all warranties, and they even shipped it to me at no additional charge.

For regs, I know someone has already mentioned HOG. They are a great, high performance reg at an affordable price. I would also check out edge regs. They are the same company as HOG, but marketed more towards the recreational market. Before you commit on a jacket-style BC, you should also try a back-inflate and a bp/w if you can. Try as many styles as possibles and buy what you like. It will keep you from buying twice (and this comes from someone who bought 2 brand new sets of gear in less than a year). When it comes to buying in a shop vs online, ask your local shop if they can come close to the prices you found online. They may be able to. They may also be able to tailor a "package" for you, of gear that you like, that fits you well, etc. Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area. is a great web store as well with competitive prices. Plus, they are here on the board if you have questions for them. Good luck with your gear search.

(I didnt see my own post, so I will attempt to post it again, sorry if it shows up twice)

Sorry Yes, Actually, I am not certified YET, I am going to get the Open Water certification in a few weeks, these were just some questions that came to mind when I was researching equipment, brands, etc. an this seems to be the best place to get answers to questions!:) I will of course dive with rental for the few first dives to get a personnel preference on the equipment I prefer, but then I would like to begin purchasing my own gear. (I am 15)

My budget is $1,200 but thats tops for everything I intend to own, I would (of course) prefer if I stayed a little ways under, while not sacrificing equipment quality.
The diving I will be doing is local (Minnesota) in lakes and quarries, so I will most likely need a 7mm wetsuit
From what I have read I am thinking about a jacket-style BCD

I am looking at the Mares Prestige BCD, Mares Ranger (or) Mares Prestige octo and primary, Pinnacle Cruiser 7 7mm wetsuit, and Mares Avanti Superchannel fins. Since you guys all have ton more overall experience I am happy for any suggestions on what worked for you, what you wouldn't recommend, I have of course done my fair share of research but being a newbie I have practically no actual experience with the equipment.

Hope that clarify's things a bit.
Thanks for the help!!

Since you're going to be diving in local lakes/quarries, you really should have an environmentally sealed reg rated for cold water. The HOG regs are a very good value and should operate just fine in the water temps you'll see. Make sure you get the first stage with the "cold water kit" installed. You can purchase HOG regs at several excellent online retailers (Dive Right In Scuba, Scubatoys, Cave Adventurers, Tech Diving Limited). Research pricing for a package consisting of 2 second stages, 1 first stage, a brass-and-glass SPG, and all of the hoses for the reg setup.

As for the BCD, I'd recommend purchasing a used one in good condition. This presents the best value by far. If you get tired of it or figure out that you'd like something different (BP/W, rear-inflate BCD), you'll probably be able to get most of your initial investment back by reselling it.

For a 7mm wetsuit, just make sure it fits properly. Unfortunately, at your age, you might still be growing. Wait for a sale at a local dive shop before buying anything. In my local area, each dive shop will have a "tent sale" a couple of times a year that offers great prices on scuba gear. I regularly see 7mm wetsuits on sale for about $100.

Thanks Bubbletrubble! It did not occur to me that I would need a cold water environmentally sealed regulator, but its a valid point, and helps a TON!! Is there a way that I can make sure a used BCD is still in good condition? Or is the only way to make sure to buy one from a local dive store? What age should you look for, should the BCD be 1-2 years old? How old is reliable?
Once again, thanks for the help, this really provides invaluable insight!!:)

Oh and would a cold water environmentally sealed regulator usually go with Yoke or DIN fitting? Is DIN appropriate to use for people with just OW certification who are newbies to the sport?

For American recreational divers would usually use a yoke. Enviromental sealing really does not effect the valve choice. If you get a DIN regulator to use for recreational diving, you will want a din to yoke adapter.

Back
Top Bottom