Using your octo as your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Bubbletrubble! It did not occur to me that I would need a cold water environmentally sealed regulator, but its a valid point, and helps a TON!! Is there a way that I can make sure a used BCD is still in good condition? Or is the only way to make sure to buy one from a local dive store? What age should you look for, should the BCD be 1-2 years old? How old is reliable?
Once again, thanks for the help, this really provides invaluable insight!!:)
Purchasing used scuba gear can be tricky. It helps to know what to look for and the current market value (Ebay, Craigslist) of the items. Rather than give you a checklist of things to look out for, I'm going to ask you to take a more thoughtful approach. Ask yourself, "What needs to be working properly for a BCD to do its job?" If you think about all of the doodads on the BCD and what each of them does, you'll be able to figure out how to test them. In fact, your OW instructor should be teaching you how to do comprehensive functional tests of your BCD during pre-dive checks.

There's enough variety in BCD design that I'd recommend taking an experienced diver with you to evaluate any used BCDs for sale. Stick with the major brand names (Scubapro, Aqualung/Seaquest, Zeagle, etc.). If something needs to be replaced, you have a better shot of being able to source replacement parts. I'd recommend you steer clear of any BCDs that are too old (or even look old, i.e., are faded, cosmetically abused, etc.). Once again, the reason for this is parts availability and the possibility that, if the BC hasn't been maintained properly, more things will need to be replaced in order to make it dive-able (corrugated hose, dump valves, power inflater, etc.). If you're not sure whether a used BCD is dive-able, take it to a trustworthy technician at a local shop who's familiar with the BC. I'd recommend going with a BCD that uses a standard power inflater (which costs $20-$30 to replace completely).

Some people prefer weight-integrated BCDs because they don't like to have to wear a heavy weightbelt. A perfectly acceptable option, particularly for cold water divers needing a lot of ballast, is to use a weight harness like the DUI Weight & Trim in conjunction with whatever BCD you happen to get.

I was trained in a conventional jacket BCD. It worked fine, but I didn't like the way it squeezed me upon inflation. When researching BCDs to purchase, I demoed a couple of different rear-inflate BCDs (Scubapro Knighthawk, Seaquest Balance). Both were excellent, but in the end I purchased a BP/W. Once you are OW certified, join a local dive club to get connected to the local dive community. Not only will this expand your circle of potential dive buddies but it will also increase your opportunities to dive and test out other people's equipment -- local divers that I've met have been very generous with their advice and equipment.
Oh and would a cold water environmentally sealed regulator usually go with Yoke or DIN fitting? Is DIN appropriate to use for people with just OW certification who are newbies to the sport?
A newbie can be taught to use a DIN-figured reg properly. The key is not to cross-thread the DIN connector when screwing it into the DIN tank valve.

It's possible to find environmentally sealed first stages in either yoke or DIN configuration. FWIW, DIN-configured regs can be adapted to work on yoke tank valves with a convenient spin-on DIN-to-yoke adapter.

The decision to configure a reg as yoke or DIN should be based on the type of tank valve you'll be using a majority of the time.

The HOG regs that I mentioned previously only come in DIN configuration (I think), so it's best to purchase a spin-on DIN-to-yoke adapter in case you encounter any yoke tank valves.
FYI, DIN/yoke convertible tank valves are now becoming quite commonplace in the scuba industry. Check out a picture of the Thermo DIN/K valves at this link.
Dive Gear Express has a nice essay on the topic of scuba valves and regulator fittings.

Enjoy your OW class. Learn as much as you can. Ask your instructor lots of questions. Worry about purchasing gear after the class is done. Have fun!

Greetings Mndiv and it is awesome the questions you are asking.
You can not learn unless you ask and receive answers and that is what Scuba Board is all about!
Bubbletrouble has given some awesome advice and heed it well!
Online dealers can be great but MY list of them is very small and biased on customer service issues.
If you want it PM me and I will provide it with my reasons.

I try to support the LDS as much as possible and I think that for $1200 I could send you to several in my area and know that you would be well suited for that amount.
HOG regs will save some cash and be awesome for cold water with the proper mods.
Getting started in your own gear is very wise and will ensure that you dive more frequently as well.
Ask many questions, read everything you can get your hands on and take your training very serious.
Absorb the information here on SB as it contains a lot of good facts / truths and sift through the opinions!
Many hours of entertainment I have found here!:rofl3:

Get started right away do not delay your training!
The summer is burning up here in the north our dive season is well underway!
If you head to Gilboa Quarry in OH PM me and I will meet you over there some weekend!
Welcome to the dream we call SCUBA!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I suppose you could. However, the octos are generally less durable and certainly lack the features that primary second stages can offer. In the long run you will not be happy using a regulator designed for occasional and lilimted use. For comfort, reliability, and long lasting use, spend a little more. It is worth it. Really. It's not even a close call.
DivemasterDennis

I suppose you could. However, the octos are generally less durable and certainly lack the features that primary second stages can offer. In the long run you will not be happy using a regulator designed for occasional and lilimted use. For comfort, reliability, and long lasting use, spend a little more. It is worth it. Really. It's not even a close call.
DivemasterDennis

Depends on which octo you buy. Many octos are simply yellow versions of the primary second stage.

My octo breaths like crap (as an octo should) so I I would never use it as my primary second stage. However the mechanism is dirt simple, and the cover comes off just be turning it so it is really easy to inspect just before I go diving (not that I would recommend you have anyone other than a certified professional inspect your equipement).

My opinion is that your primary second stage is for comfort, and your octo should be designed for absolute reliability in the conditions you will be diving.

My octo breaths like crap (as an octo should) so I I would never use it as my primary second stage. However the mechanism is dirt simple, and the cover comes off just be turning it so it is really easy to inspect just before I go diving (not that I would recommend you have anyone other than a certified professional inspect your equipement).

My opinion is that your primary second stage is for comfort, and your octo should be designed for absolute reliability in the conditions you will be diving.
I prefer to tune my primary and octo/backup second stages identically. Both of the second stages are equally reliable (as far as I can tell).

I don't think that octos should be tuned to breathe "like crap" because that's the reg you or your buddy will be breathing off of in an emergency.

It's because of this approach to octo tuning that I have incorporated breathing off of my buddy's octo into my pre-dive buddy check. I want to be familiar with the subjective breathing characteristics of my buddy's octo before I'm compelled to breathe off of it in an emergency. If the cracking pressure is set too high on the octo, then I'd insist that the reg be adjusted, the entire reg setup be swapped out, or the other diver will just have to find another buddy.

"My octo breaths like crap (as an octo should) so I I would never use it as my primary second stage. My opinion is that your primary second stage is for comfort, and your octo should be designed for absolute reliability in the conditions you will be diving."

I don't quite get you here. I have the same regulator (it was on sale) for my octo as I do for my secondary. When my buddy or I am in a OOA or othersituation I would prefer in my hightened sense of state that I am going to be hoping that octo feels like my secondary. It will calm you, your buddy down, lower your air consumption, and be just better for the situation where you need it. Like I said on page 1 there are lots of good sales on right now on Hog / Edge / Hollis regs. In fact my Hollis 212 reg was cheaper then the Hollis 321. Also the Hollis DC1 Primary is already sealed so its good for whatever.

I should clarify. My octo is just a little harder to breath off than my primary second but still very breathable. I kind of exagerated with the "breaths like crap" comment. I really wouldn't want to dive with it over my primary though.

I do think, though, that if I am diving a more complex primary second stage (In truth, I dive a SP 109 so it is only one step more complex than my octo), I want an octo that is very simple so less can go wrong with it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom