Vancouver diver looking for buddies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed once bubbled...
Responses are slow, eh buddy?

Too many fair weather divers out there and / or too many entrenched cliques.

diverjed

Sadly, yes. I am still hoping howerver, some Vancouver area divers are going to log in, see my post and decide they wanna have a spare dive buddy.

Keepin the faith,

Hi freediver,

I am based in Nanaimo at the moment but hope to be going to and from Vancouver occasioanlly over the next couple of months.

I'll try and post when I know what is happening. I won't be bringing the car (assuming I actually get of my butt and buy one) over evreytime on the ferry though so will be somewhat difficult to do stuff.

I'll try to check this more regularly and post if you are comming accross to the Island as I will likely go for a dive.

Cheers.

My-way once bubbled...
Hi freediver,

I am based in Nanaimo at the moment but hope to be going to and from Vancouver occasioanlly over the next couple of months.

I'll try and post when I know what is happening. I won't be bringing the car (assuming I actually get of my butt and buy one) over evreytime on the ferry though so will be somewhat difficult to do stuff.

I'll try to check this more regularly and post if you are comming accross to the Island as I will likely go for a dive.

Cheers.

THat sounds good, I would love to dive with ya. Whats even better is the dive club i belong to is right in HorseshoeBay where the ferry docks :)
Small prob is transportation though- I drive a little 76 MGB which fits gear for 1 person nicely but doesn't have enough for 2 peoples worth :( So, if you take your care over we are laughing.
ANd I will deifintely give you a heads up if I am ever comin over to The island.
OOh OH Oh as a matter of fact umm Monday June 2nd a bunch (6-ish) of us are doing MacKenzie Bite I think its called. I have zero clue where it is on the island .. I think its a shore dive though. You are more than welcome to come along.
Cheers,

Freeman,

I am available for quite a bit of weekday diving. I am new to the sport but am quite excited about it. HAve own gear and truck. Live on the shore and use Great Pacific Diving as base camp.

Just got my open water and am finishing off my advanced card on Tuesday. I am off to Playa Del Carman for a week of diving on Friday. I can hook up with you as soon as I am back.

PM for contact info.

Thanks
Henry

Freeman:
I am lookin for Vancouver types to dive when ever the urge hits em. I typically work 4 days a week and wishing to dive on the 2-3 days off. I have met a few people via the "Meet&Greets" board but lately haven't had much luck so I am hoping in here I will have a better shot. Oh yea, and if ya need references just ask lady6gill or Radagalf- we had a great dive(s) together.

So, is anyone up for a Mon/Tues day or night dive ? I typically am available Sun-Tues every week. Depending on the work schedule (bartender) I can sometimes dive THursday/Sat mid-late am. I am AOW/drysuit with decent skills.

Come on Vancouver, lets get out there, meet some new dive buddies and go for some dives :)

Cheers,

I'm up for some diving as well in the near future. Right now (next couple weeks), my schedule is quite full. However, I would like to have more buddies I can call on when there are no buddies to be found.

I live just on the vancouver side of the knight st. bridge and I have a mini-pickup truck that can take 4 ppl. and all their gear.
PM me freeman and Henry for contact info (and anyone else who wants buddies in the Vancouver Area).

I'm currently busy with studies at UBC, which is what takes up my time. My current LDS is the UBC shop, but I'm thinking I might have to switch once I graduate. It's inconvienient to get tanks and fills, since it's not on the way to whytecliff.

Later,
Dave

Hey there freeman, and all the other vancouver area divers.I live on the north shore, but I am also really busy with school these days. For me, and I don't know about the other divers not responding to Freeman looking for divers, but the reason I am hesitant about responding to Freeman, and the others tht are looking for a dive buddy, is that I am really new to the sport, and have very few dives under my belt, and I don't feel that my skills would be up to snuff at this point.

anyways, back to the books

happy diving

TTT

Hey, I wouldn't worry about it too much TTT. Most would love to dive with anyone even beginners (I myself am one, also).
But there is a bit of truth in what you say. After doing my rescue course I find that I feel restricted if my dive has to set a max depth of 60 ft. I like having an 80-100 ft max most of the time. I think the best thing you could do if you are a newbie diver is take the advanced course, it will hone your skills and give you those added skills for night diving deeper diving, and so on. That is if you haven't done it already. That being said I still often dive with open water people and there are, for sure, great dives above 60ft.

Yeah, what you are saying is true yerba matem I do plan to take AOW at somepoint, but right now I jsut don't feel as comfortable in just keeping my bouyancy just right and what not. A few more dives and some more experiance under my belt and I will love to meet up with people for a dive

cheers

TTT

Another Vancouver diver here... Kits, to be exact...

Looking for people available Tues & Thur during the day & any other night for diving....

Only problem is that I am without transportation. Will pitch for gas, though!

[OOh OH Oh as a matter of fact umm Monday June 2nd a bunch (6-ish) of us are doing MacKenzie Bite I think its called. I have zero clue where it is on the island .. I think its a shore dive though. You are more than welcome to come along.]

I don't know who the sadistic bast**d is that put you up to Mackenzie Bight in EARLY JUNE! Mackenzie Bight is in Saanich Inlet, North-West of Victoria. Saanich inlet is hit by MASSIVE plankton blooms in late spring and early summer. Early June is probably right in the middle of the worst of it. Sometimes if you dive deep enough, you can get beneath it, but usually I go down to 120 feet or so and visibility is still about 2 feet. There may be some freakish occasions when it is a bit clearer, but after the drive and the ferry from the mainland, you will probably leave disappointed. I hope some other local divers read this and and post that they have had good experiences in Saanich inlet in early June, but I doubt it. You will probably have better visibility and more marine life at the Ogden Point Breakwater, Ten mile point or some other site NOT IN SAANICH INLET! I used to live and dive in Vancouver and Saanich inlet is similar to Howe Sound, but with less marine life for some reason. Saanich Inlet is a great place to go in late summer, fall and winter however when the visibility can be up to 100 feet. There have been reports of six gill sharks at Mackenzie Bight, but these are very rare and If the visibility is bad, you likely won't see them anyways.

Back
Top Bottom