Very light BC recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go for the DSS kydex plate and 17 lb wing or an AL freedom plate and oxycheq 18 lb mach V. This way you get a rigid plate and simple webbing harness.

the new aqualung

If you like Scubapro, try the Equator. My Son loves his and it packs down nicely.

Personally, I like the Zeagle Express Tech AND I think they are having a sale right now on their equipment.

I would go for the DSS kydex plate and 17 lb wing or an AL freedom plate and oxycheq 18 lb mach V. This way you get a rigid plate and simple webbing harness.

I saw this and figured I better jump in.

Right now I'm out of Aluminum plates.
The best I can do is stainless, which without the rail attached is going to weigh in at 3lbs. 2oz.

If you wanted aluminum check with somebody here on SB (classifieds-wanted to buy)
and see if somebody might part with one.

E

Lots of great advice, now I have some reserch to do.
Thanks Mike

Zeagle Scout

I was messing around today with some ideas.

I figured out a way to set up a divable rig with nothing more than 12 feet of webbing, some D-rings and keepers, a Mach V wing, and 2 cam bands, a buckle, and no plate of any kind.
Basically for just the price of the Mach V, an oxycheq harness kit, and 2 cam bands someone could make a travel rig that would be the absolute lightest yet.

I'll have to post a few pics when I get them downloaded from my camera.
It's hard to explain, but it's very simple.

I think the OP is looking for an "out of the box" solution here. I could be wrong. Oxycheq's contribution to this would probably be their

Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate
shapeimage_1.jpg

I have never dove it, but I have seen it in action. It looks good but only has one tank strap (I like two) and I have seen some fraying where the shoulder harness slips to become the waist band. I don't know if you have to build it out like a BP: the Zeagle comes assembled. You can check out the Zeagle Express Tech Here and the Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate Here.

I think the OP is looking for an "out of the box" solution here. I could be wrong. Oxycheq's contribution to this would probably be their

shapeimage_1.jpg

I have never dove it, but I have seen it in action. It looks good but only has one tank strap (I like two) and I have seen some fraying where the shoulder harness slips to become the waist band. I don't know if you have to build it out like a BP: the Zeagle comes assembled. You can check out the Zeagle Express Tech Here and the Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate Here.
I know about the Oxycheq soft plate. In the link you provided they state that it uses two cam bands??

Personally, if I was going to use something really light and still wanted a plate for stability I think I would use one of those old school plastic packs still available new from Trident for just over $40 or an aluminum plate with all the features of a regular plate with double cam slots but with the light weight of aluminum.

Or I would consider this new option I came up with which is basically just free information.
Remember how they used to run straps directly onto the tank and strap the tank to their body (think Sea Hunt), well this is the same principle except using all modern and available supplies and with a wing.

Actually the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Plate uses 2 cambands - one goes all the way through the wing and plate and the other goes through the wing and a loop in the back of the plate.

here is the information from the OxyCheq website.

1. The lightest plate made today. 9.6 onces / 272 grams
2. It allows you to use a crotch strap, but it is not needed. It fits that snug.
3. One size allowed us to fit a woman that was 5' 4" tall weighing 95 pounds. The largest was a guy at 6' 4" weighing 265 pounds. Did not try it on anyone outside of those ranges, but am sure it will fit both smaller and larger divers.
4. It only fits OxyCheq Mach V Wing designs.
5. Takes seconds to put on and take off.
6. No need to remove it from the wing once attached unless you want to.
7. Great for travel and great for rental gear because one size fits such a wide range of people.
8. Cannot crack.
9. Cannot damage a wing.
10. It fits so well, it looks like it is sewn onto the wing.
11. Lowest profile plate made today.

The Ultra Lite Back Plate is the world’s lightest back plate weighing only 9.6 oz / 272 grams. In addition to being great for travel, when combined with the Speed Harness one size fits virtually every diver. The Ultra Lite Plate is easily attached to any OxyCheq wing using two of our sex nuts/bolts. The Ultra Lite Harness also uses two cam straps.

It is easily and quickly adjusted by pulling the waist straps away from your sides. When tightened, it is very snug fit. An attachment for a crotch strap is provided, but one is not really needed. When combined with the Speed Harness, the Ultra Lite Back Plate can fitted with a number of other OxyCheq accessories such as sliding d-rings, a variety of pockets (weight, trifold, X-pocket), shoulder harness pads, crotch strap and more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom