Video editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Movie Maker works well and is pretty intuitive and easy to use. I'm sure there are probably better full-feature packages out there, but Movie Make does the job and it's free.
Love the name aka Anthony Wiener.....any sexting lately? LOL

Editing video is not for everyone. Good computer skills are a big part of whether or not you will like to edit video. I really enjoy editing because I can control and choose the video to be exactly the way I want. It's kind of a form of art where you create and express your vision. When I finish a video, I get a sense of satisfaction. I'm not calling myself an artist, I'm just using the analogy.

Muvee looks like a good product for people who don't want to edit. It's basically an automatic video editor and will fit many people's needs.

OMG ronscuba ive just clicked on your link and watched some of your videos, ill watch them all in time. Bloody brilliant m8, how I would love to be able to do the same.
What sort of camera do you use and how do you capture the colours of the corals and fish? My videos look so poor in quality, ive only got a JVC addixion action cam and im totally new to diving and filming, but im so in awe!
Tell me some of your secrets lol?!

I'm using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 16. I bought it because of their 3D support and a friend's recommendation. I suspect Sony Vegas may be a better choice for 3D, but hindsight is always 20/20, eh?

For 2d editing Adobe Premier Elements would probably be fine.

OMG ronscuba ive just clicked on your link and watched some of your videos, ill watch them all in time. Bloody brilliant m8, how I would love to be able to do the same.
What sort of camera do you use and how do you capture the colours of the corals and fish? My videos look so poor in quality, ive only got a JVC addixion action cam and im totally new to diving and filming, but im so in awe!
Tell me some of your secrets lol?!

Thanks. Being quick on the computer lets me turn out a basic video pretty fast. A little OCD helps with the details and finishing touches.

For shooting video footage, keep totally still, use a filter, keep the sun at your back, record 15-20 second clips unless you see something really outstanding. A bunch of 20 second clips is a lot easier to edit. The filter and sun at your back will bring color to your footage.

Most of the videos in my signature link were shot with an expensive system. However, the above suggestions are universal. Here is a video I shot in Belize with a GoPro and cheap drop in filter. Edited in Adobe, did minor color adjustments.

[vimeo]57485474[/vimeo]

I have not gotten into the editing of my vacation videos yet. Perhaps I'm intimidated at the prospect. All I really want to do is (1) add a title lead in so the viewer knows where/when the video was taken, (2) edit/delete sections that are not interesting or poor quality with some type of transition (fade out/in) and (3) eventually add some background music. Seem Windows movie maker will allow the addition of the a title and some music, but I can't get a handle on the edit/delete function. Perhaps I'm being dense.

Vegas Pro is about $600. Vegas Movie Studio Platinum does much of what it does for $40. Since the OP is looking for something free....

There are also trial versions of both Vegas and VMSP and Adobe Premiere Elements available as a free download to see if either of them is right for you. You have to d/l Photoshop Elements to get Premiere Elements also. You can also try the Adobe Premiere Creative Cloud edition. I never have so don't know what that entails.

Sony Creative Software - Download: Trials and Demos
Adobe - Download free trial version Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 | Adobe
https://creative.adobe.com/products/premiere

Thanks. Being quick on the computer lets me turn out a basic video pretty fast. A little OCD helps with the details and finishing touches.

For shooting video footage, keep totally still, use a filter, keep the sun at your back, record 15-20 second clips unless you see something really outstanding. A bunch of 20 second clips is a lot easier to edit. The filter and sun at your back will bring color to your footage.

Most of the videos in my signature link were shot with an expensive system. However, the above suggestions are universal. Here is a video I shot in Belize with a GoPro and cheap drop in filter. Edited in Adobe, did minor color adjustments.

[vimeo]57485474[/vimeo]

Thanks for the tips i will put them to use when i next get the chance to dive.
Being my first ever time to dive and film it really shows in my videos that i didn't keep still enough at times. And i never realised to keep the sun to my back.
If your diving 10-15m or deeper does the sun really play a part in the quality of the video and if the water is murky etc and not crystal clear does that rule the sun out too?
The JVC addixion camera i bought appears to be new on the market, and doesn't have many accessories. I cant find a filter for it nor did i use one when i fimed my diving. The only options it had was to use Auto white balance, Green Marine or Blue Marine white balance. I seemed to of filmed mostly in Green Marine because Blue Marine strangely made it appear green lol. I also filmed in FHD1080p30, i assumed it was the best quality.
The problem i have when watching my videos back as poor as the filming is lol is that the colours of the corals and fish don't appear very vibrant.
Do you have any suggestions, would i need to use a light as it doesn't seem as if i can get a filter, or should i replace my JVC and get a go pro, id never even heard of them until i bought my JVC?
One last thing because of the no filter issue would it mean that i couldn't use colour correction to restore my videos?
I appreciate any responses, Thank you.

I can't tell from the tiny picture on the Marine Housing accessories page but is the front port threaded? If so you can probably find a red filter somewhere that will match. Try Optical Ocean Sales. Backscatter also makes one that could be adaptable with Velcro etc.

Advanced search :: Search results - Optical Ocean Sales: Underwater Photo & Video Equipment
Backscatter Custom 55mm Red Magic Filter for Backscatter Custom GoPro Housing

Or possibly one of these: 55mm Filters

Since the camera has a 170o field of view, any mounting system not completely behind the port will likely be seen.

My buddy has a u/w white balance compensation on his camera also. He experienced similarly washed out colors so bought a filter instead.

Lights during daylight shooting aren't of much use except for very close-up work. The same buddy has a 4300 Lumen video light. On the reef, I can't tell when it's on except when he points it at something in the shadows. And that's a lot of light compared to many of the more popular options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom