Wanted: Liveaboard Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting ready for a drift dive!
600_DSC00454_Drift_Dive_on_the_AC_07.jpg

Which ones? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

To be precise. There were 4 taps: one set in the salon/dining area and another set behind the bar on the sun deck. 3 were connected on this voyage. The beers were all locally brewed in Freeport. I can't recall the brewery. There was a Lager (clean, well-made), a wheat/light beer (didn't try) and an Amber called "Hammerhead" which was also quite good. Also a soft drink dispenser that had Pepsi, Ginger Ale, Diet Pepsi, Orange drink, club soda and water -- all chilled. Ice was plentiful and there were always fresh plastic glasses available. Nobody goes thirsty!

The beers were all locally brewed in Freeport. I can't recall the brewery. There was a Lager (clean, well-made), a wheat/light beer (didn't try) and an Amber called "Hammerhead" which was also quite good.

Mmmmm. Local beer....

Sounds intriguing. Thanks.

To be precise. There were 4 taps: one set in the salon/dining area and another set behind the bar on the sun deck. 3 were connected on this voyage. The beers were all locally brewed in Freeport. I can't recall the brewery. There was a Lager (clean, well-made), a wheat/light beer (didn't try) and an Amber called "Hammerhead" which was also quite good. Also a soft drink dispenser that had Pepsi, Ginger Ale, Diet Pepsi, Orange drink, club soda and water -- all chilled. Ice was plentiful and there were always fresh plastic glasses available. Nobody goes thirsty!

wow, nice report and having the beer/sodas on tap and easy to access is nice. Glad to hear your non-diving spouse was able to have as good a time as you did diving! :D:D

We want pictures though!!!

Sorry - no photos. I usually try to make friends with the guy/gal splashing in with the biggest camera set-up, but on this trip that person was was shooting film!!! I think the video links offered in an earlier post do a good job of conveying the experience.

On one dive I found a red ribbon worm with black trim that had me going crazy looking for a diver with a camera. That's the one shot I'd have liked to have had! Got topside and there was nothing that looked like it in the Caribbean Reef Creatures Book.

Sorry - no photos. I usually try to make friends with the guy/gal splashing in with the biggest camera set-up, but on this trip that person was was shooting film!!! I think the video links offered in an earlier post do a good job of conveying the experience.

On one dive I found a red ribbon worm with black trim that had me going crazy looking for a diver with a camera. That's the one shot I'd have liked to have had! Got topside and there was nothing that looked like it in the Caribbean Reef Creatures Book.

:11: no photos???????????????
gasp ---- Blasphemy!!!
Get thee to a camera store immediately!

The Aquacat is a wonderful boat for divers and non-divers alike. They accommodate the non-divers all the time and there is a lot to do! Snorkeling is not out of the question either and they have lots of sites that offer both shallow and deep.

I would also recommend the Caribbean Explorer. They also have a lot of excursions to land side, and some of those are great for the diver as well.

As my first experiment uploading to YouTube, I ripped and uploaded (after cutting into 1/3rds) the trip video from our January Aquacat trip. Yes, they said that we were free to do what we want with it. :14: Yes, they did use copyrighted music in it :no

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

(crosses fingers and hopes playlist embeds)

Hello All,

My girlfriend (snorkeler) and I just spent an awesome week at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan, Honduras. I would love to take a liveaboard on our next trip to the Caribbean. Is this idea practical with a non-diver? Any recommendations or warnings about liveaboards. Are there any liveaboards to avoid?

Thanks,
Greg:D
Much of my diving has been aboard liveaboards--it is by far my favorite way to dive. I dragged my non-diving girlfriend aboard the Kararu Safari, a 10 day cruise around Komodo National Park and on to Bali. She is enthusiastic about snorkeling (btw, I have no doubt that the best snorkeling reef in the world is near Komodo--a lush, virgin reef that comes right to the shore) and ID-ing the fish in my photos. Nevertheless, she was bored, seasick, and miserable most of the time. She felt left out of the inevitable post-dive discussions despite a friendly, diverse group of men and women aboard the boat. She did occupy herself with fishing and occasional snorkels with me, but much of the time she was sequestered in our room. I encourage you to seriously reconsider the liveaboard idea with your girlfriend. Think Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom