We don't need no education....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that you can get in the water after 14 years and lose zero skills, says something about the skills you started with.

Good point. I notice when I've been dry for a couple of weeks.

Good point. I notice when I've been dry for a couple of weeks.

What is it that you noticed? What skills did you feel are deminshed? When I got back into the water I had plans to practice my mask clearing, reg changing, buoyance control navigation and free ascent. After doing those a couple of times I decided to do a dive instead. Glad I did because I hurt myself a couple of days later and wouldn't be diving for awhile.

What is it that you noticed? What skills did you feel are deminshed? When I got back into the water I had plans to practice my mask clearing, reg changing, buoyance control navigation and free ascent. After doing those a couple of times I decided to do a dive instead. Glad I did because I hurt myself a couple of days later and wouldn't be diving for awhile.

Basically little things. I have to concentrate more on mundane tasks (say stowing the regulator on a deco bottle) which takes some of my attention away from the dive itself.

Basically little things. I have to concentrate more on mundane tasks (say stowing the regulator on a deco bottle) which takes some of my attention away from the dive itself.

How long / how many dives does it take to get you back? How dangerous do you think this degree of loss makes you to yourself and others?

How long / how many dives does it take to get you back?

Not long.

How dangerous do you think this degree of loss makes you to yourself and others?

Most of the time not at all.

Way out there in the realm of "what-if" is that my buddy will have some issue (oh I don't know... let's say oxtox) and I don't notice because I'm busy fussing with something stupid. More likely is I'm fussing with that stupid something in poor viz during an ascent and I lose my upline/team.

Way out there in the realm of "what-if" is that my buddy will have some issue (oh I don't know... let's say oxtox) and I don't notice because I'm busy fussing with something stupid. More likely is I'm fussing with that stupid something in poor viz during an ascent and I lose my upline/team.

This could happen anytime to anyone. I don't think you give yourself enough credit.

This could happen anytime to anyone. I don't think you give yourself enough credit.

Certainly, but if I don't have to look down at my bottles to stow a reg, so much the better :D

Certainly, but if I don't have to look down at my bottles to stow a reg, so much the better :D

If things like that concern you could practice that in your living room with the lights off.

If things like that concern you could practice that in your living room with the lights off.

lol, I hear that's grounds for divorce in 12 states.

Back
Top Bottom