We don't need no education....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In most circumstances I would agree with you. In this instance it appears it did make a bad situation better. Prior to 2000 the number of dive related incidents were high, especially involving people from non-english speaking countries. This has changed. You are correct it does not address the incompetent divers or instructors, but what it has done is reduced the risk of people lying and misrepresenting themselves as divers.

Could the reduction in deaths be caused by a reduction in the amount of people diving there? Just asking as there is usually more than one reason things like this happen.
As I stated before I sacked any desire of going there after reading your posts of what a mess (IMO) the government has made of diving there.

Last edited:
Since the dive operators are the ones who are investing the money and running a business any reasonable person would expect they actually know a lot, especially concerning the very law that covers their industry.
Well ... since we all know that diving is not a reasonable business, we can discard that idea.
I doubt there are many industries which are not self serving in business, even Govt's often use law as money raising exercises.
You are quite missing the point, when you want an accurate opinion, don't ask someone with a stake in the matter. Come on girl, develop a modicum of cynicism ... the ingenue role gets old fast.
I love the idea that some set of rules is going to make a bad situation better. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way unless that same set of rules removes the incompetent divers and the incompetent instructors ...

In most circumstances I would agree with you. In this instance it appears it did make a bad situation better. Prior to 2000 the number of dive related incidents were high, especially involving people from non-english speaking countries. This has changed. You are correct it does not address the incompetent divers or instructors, but what it has done is reduced the risk of
people lying and misrepresenting themselves as divers.
From what I can find it appears to me that from a statistical standpoint the numbers are likely too small to actually be meaningful. In any case without both a numerator and a denominator making a claim that some event (like the promulgation of a COP) had an effect is an exercise in the production of hot air.
Opinions are a sign of a thinking and caring mind.
Thanks for the discussion.
Sometimes they are just a sign of indigestion.:D

Just a question for one of the divers who started some of this. If I show up to dive these wrecks in OZ, all I have for certs are a Open Water from 1979, Nitrox in 1993, Advanced Diver 1995, TDI Trimix in 2007. So I don't have a wreck cert, deep cert, etc.

Whould I be allowed to dive without a dive nanny?

Just a question for one of the divers who started some of this. If I show up to dive these wrecks in OZ, all I have for certs are a Open Water from 1979, Nitrox in 1993, Advanced Diver 1995, TDI Trimix in 2007. So I don't have a wreck cert, deep cert, etc.

Whould I be allowed to dive without a dive nanny?

Won't speak for the rest of Oz, but if you show up in Sydney & went somewhere like Southern Cross Divers or Scubaroos you'd be fine to dive to the limits of your Trimix certification. These boats have no nannies, your either up for the dive or you don't get to go. Sub 70mt. might require a check out dive first. SXD only do staged deco dives on wrecks sub 40 mt. I'v dived with them for years, I have no formal wreck certification.

ah Yes,

ah Yes,

"ah Yes" I would need a wreck cert ot a nanny, or "ah Yes" I don't need a wreck cert and a nanny?

My cert is TDI Trimix diver - 18% O2 or greater, nitrox/O2 deco/stage gasses, to max depth 200 fsw.

I just will not tell anyone about my deeper stuff like air to 250 (long, long time ago) and all that 17/60 etc. I'v done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinediva
He also informed me that other states of Aust, are looking at Qld and by the end of the decade their legislation will reflect Qld's. 80% of Australian diving happens in Nth Qld. and the current level of fatalities reflects the impact this legislation has had. It will not be long before all states have the same regulations and practices across the board.

)
Can't see this happening by the end of next year in NSW or Victoria or Tasmania or WA or SA. With any luck it just won't happen, period.

Are you suggesting that there have been no divers go missing or died in Qld since 2000. Or are you saying that it's been a common outcome in the other states in this period.

Safe Work Australia (SWA) is currently developing national model occupational health and safety (OHS)
legislation to be implemented in all Australian jurisdictions in 2011.
Harmonised OHS laws will provide a number of benefits including:
 uniform, equitable and effective safety standards and protections for all Australian workers
 reduced compliance and regulatory burdens for employers with operations in more than one
jurisdiction, and
 greater efficiencies for governments in the provision of OHS regulatory and support services.
A draft of the model legislation is now available for public comment closing 9 November 2009. This is an
opportunity to actively participate and voice your opinion on the development of new model OHS legislation.
For more information, visit the Workplace Health and Safety Queensland website, Homepage - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.
More information including a comparison between the draft model laws and current Queensland laws visit the
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland website, Homepage - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

A bold assertion, can I have some proof please. It certainly bought an end to a once thriving tech diving industry in Sth. QLD. as 1 by 1 the operators got tired of the nanny state crap.

Question.......If it was thriving, then why did they not spend the dollars and align themselves to
the code. Have you really looked at it...... Which part do you consider nanny state crap, especially since it is so similar to NSW. From what I am understand the MAJOR differences is not infact in the code of Practice, and how a tech operation operates per sa, but more about the differences in reference to dive boats in survey and licences.

I will endeavor to gather the statistics however to offer proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinediva
He also informed me that other states of Aust, are looking at Qld and by the end of the decade their legislation will reflect Qld's. 80% of Australian diving happens in Nth Qld. and the current level of fatalities reflects the impact this legislation has had. It will not be long before all states have the same regulations and practices across the board.

)
Can't see this happening by the end of next year in NSW or Victoria or Tasmania or WA or SA. With any luck it just won't happen, period.

Safe Work Australia (SWA) is currently developing national model occupational health and safety (OHS)
legislation to be implemented in all Australian jurisdictions in 2011.
Harmonised OHS laws will provide a number of benefits including:
 uniform, equitable and effective safety standards and protections for all Australian workers
 reduced compliance and regulatory burdens for employers with operations in more than one
jurisdiction, and
 greater efficiencies for governments in the provision of OHS regulatory and support services.
A draft of the model legislation is now available for public comment closing 9 November 2009. This is an
opportunity to actively participate and voice your opinion on the development of new model OHS legislation.
For more information, visit the Workplace Health and Safety Queensland website, Homepage - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.
More information including a comparison between the draft model laws and current Queensland laws visit the
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland website, Homepage - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

A bold assertion, can I have some proof please. It certainly bought an end to a once thriving tech diving industry in Sth. QLD. as 1 by 1 the operators got tired of the nanny state crap.

Question.......If it was thriving, then why did they not spend the dollars and align themselves to
the code. Have you really looked at it...... Which part do you consider nanny state crap, especially since it is so similar to NSW. From what I am understand the MAJOR differences is not infact in the code of Practice, and how a tech operation operates per sa, but more about the differences in reference to dive boats in survey and licences.

I will endeavor to gather the statistics however to offer proof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom